Re: CBS Sportsline on Walker/Pitino

>This is bullshit, and Sam Smith doesn't know anything we don't know,
>but here it is.  I for one dont buy it.  If Gaston does let Antoine
>go, he will pay for somebody more proven down the road. . . there is
>more to paying Antoine than just the money.

I was going to say a few words of thanks concerning my award as "Most
Sarcastic Bastard" on the list. You know...something about how anything is
possible in this great country of ours. How I came up from the wrong side
of the tracks. How I owe it all to my mother, father, and Paul Gaston. And
then ....Sam Smith. I'm interrupting this glorious moment of tremendous
personal achievement to say that...far from being bullshit, I think Smith
is right on the money. About everything. And...unfortunately, and I'm not
being sarcastic here, unfortunately he's right about:

>And Pitino has shown himself not astute enough a judge of talent to be
>able to outsmart the opposition.
>
>His free-agent choices have been disastrous, leaving the team with
>little salary-cap maneuverability for the upcoming years.
>
>Credit Pitino for getting rid of mistakes like Chris Mills, which is
>his coaching expertise. Blame him for getting them in the first place.
>
>Which leads to the Celtics' fate: mediocrity.
>
>.............The money is not going to be there, and even if it were, how
>many >free agents, especially veterans, are going to choose Pitino's
>pressing,
>trapping, relentless system, especially when they've been able to see
>the veterans systematically ignored and phased out under Pitino.

And if it's true that his idea of "veteran talent" is Mashburn...I'd like
to thank my father, my mother, and Paul Gaston for making this all
possible. I love you Paul! Thank you everybody!

Paul M.