Re: Have the players been flexible?

Alright, who kidnapped Paul and what have you done with him?  Whoever
posted this sounds far too serious and equivocal to be him.

Actually, Paul, you posted something earlier today which answers a lot
of this.  I was surprised by how much the players claim to have
conceded.  I can only guess that each of these concessions was made as
part of a seperate offer and no single offer comprises all the
concessions.  According to this, I think it was from Tellem, about all
they haven't conceded is the hard cap.  I think the right of first
refusal following the rookie deal could be the most effective thing
offered so far in containing salaries.  At least owners wouldn't have to
sign players with a year left on their contracts or pay extra to keep
them in undesirable markets.

To me, though, it's just more of the stars taking advantage of players
with no power (ie. rookies).  What is really needed is a cap on the
highest salaries and the stars that control the union are sacrificing
the rights of rookies to avoid it.

Why not forget this cap business and say that X% MUST go to the players.
Not a maximum limit on salaries, but an agreed amount up front.  If
revenues get so high that players are making a lower percent, then that
money gets shared out among the players.  Likewise, if revenues start to
level out, salaries will have to level out with them.  I can't think of
anything fairer than that.

Jim