Re: Good!

>Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 19:59:38 -0500
>To: celtics@igtc.com
>From: Kim Malo <kmalo19@idt.net>
>Subject: Re: Good!
>

>...it was the *owners* that initiated the lockout (don't understand
>why you felt the need to put quotation marks around it), not any
>theoretically disgruntled players (remember, the players weren't
>disgruntled -they were quite happy to continue with the existing
>system) it wouldn't matter either way.

Yes it is a lockout.  Sorry for the poor use of punctuation.  I wanted
to emphasize the term as some people are calling it a strike.

The players may not have been disgruntled, but then they were not living
under the old agreement either (neither side was).  Remember, the old
agreement called for salaries to stay under 53% of revenues.

>You are overgeneralizing, although I agree that that's likely the >case
with many agents. But just as it's the biggest name players who >are
coming across as the greediest, it's the same with the biggest >name
agents.

Fine.  If, as unlikely as it sounds, there are good, honest and
kind-hearted agents out there, I apologise to them.  My complaint is
with their greedy, unprincipled, scheming, slimy, low-life brethren.

>the owners -not the players or agents- initiated a lockout to try to
>force the league into protecting them from the consequences of their
>own stupidity. Players and agents can demand until they're blue in
>the face, but unless someone gives in to their demands all it gets
>them is, well, blue in the face. I'm not saying the owners should
>'just say no' to all such demands, because it isn't that simple.
>Look at all the vilification of Gaston here for daring to object to
>AW's idea of fair compensation or the Timberwolves situation where
>the owner overrode McHale's refusal to give in to Garnett because he
>needed to draw fans to keep his newborn franchise afloat.

If you're not saying the owners should 'just say no', then what is your
solution.  I don't think you can leave salaries to market forces and
retain competitive integrity.  Rich owners will spend more.  That has
always been the case, but virtually unrestrained free agency now means
that only rich teams ever win anything.  Games need rules to make
competition fair, and that is true off the court as well as on it. Isn't
it ironic that the players are willing to sacrifice some of their free
agency rights, eg. longer rookie contracts, to avoid a hard cap.  The
players union and the agents are trying to sell us that there can be an
unrestrained free market for players without the game and competition
suffering.  It's not true.  It's not about saving the owners from
themselves, but setting rules so they can fairly compete against each
other.

Jim