NBA Rookies In Lockout Limbo

 [ ]  [Image]

                                      November 3, 1998

                         NBA's rookie crop is trying hard to cope with
                                       life in limbo

                       The Sixers' Larry Hughes and others are all
                       dressed up, but for now, because of the lockout,
                               they have no place to go.

                                      By Stephen A. Smith
                                     INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

                       First his hand covered his mouth. A yawn ensued.
                       For Larry Hughes, the 76ers' top draft pick last
                       summer, the excitement didn't begin until a
                       camera crew arrived.
                       The atmosphere of lights, cameras and little
                       action typified Hughes' autumn -- photo shoots,
                       interviews, one-on-none basketball, then home to
                       bed.

                       "Welcome to life without NBA basketball," the
                       rookie guard said, sighing. "Man, I can't wait
                       to start playing."
                       Under normal circumstances, Hughes would have
                       been starting his NBA career tonight in
                       Washington, where the Sixers were scheduled to
                       meet the Wizards to open their 1998-99 season.

                       But instead of dribbling, shooting or showing
                       any of the other skills that made him the No. 8
                       pick in June's draft, Hughes will, along with
                       410 other players, remain on the sideline.

                       All of them will miss games and paychecks, with
                       each praying that a resolution of the ongoing
                       lockout will be a part of his Thanksgiving
                       celebration.

                       "That's certainly what I'm hoping for," said
                       rookie forward Raef LaFrentz, drafted third
                       overall by the Denver Nuggets. "None of us can
                       wait, really. We just know we have to. In the
                       meantime, I'm just working out, staying in
                       shape, hoping a deal gets done now. What else
                       can I do?"

                       The answer? Nothing. Neither the league nor the
                       players union has presented an alternative.

                       LaFrentz and Hughes were in the area recently
                       for photo shoots at Haverford College to
                       publicize And-1 sneakers and clothing, as were
                       three second-round picks -- Shammond Williams
                       (out of North Carolina), Miles Simon (Arizona)
                       and Toby Bailey (UCLA).

                       Meanwhile, lawyers for both the NBA and the
                       National Basketball Players Association met
                       yesterday, only to admit later that they had
                       accomplished nothing. Since the idea of a hard
                       salary cap was taken off the table two weeks ago
                       by the league, little ground has been gained on
                       several issues, including a luxury tax, an
                       escrow account, and a set percentage of
                       basketball-related income (BRI). In fact, things
                       apparently have gotten worse in the last 24
                       hours.

                       The owners, looking for cost certainty, have
                       proposed a 50-50 split of BRI with the players.
                       The union has responded by reducing its demand
                       from 63 percent to 60 percent.

                       As for other issues, neither side would
                       elaborate. But each said that an agreement was
                       not close.

                       "We've heard numerous reports that we're close
                       to making a deal," said Billy Hunter, the
                       union's executive director, responding to
                       published reports that a deal would be done
                       within a week. "That is just not true.

                       "I don't know where the information came from
                       that would serve as a representation for that,
                       but I can tell you right now, that isn't so. We
                       met [ yesterday ] with lawyers on the other side
                       for about 2[Image] hours who called to discuss
                       secondary issues. We made little or no progress
                       on those issues. We feel we're further apart
                       than we were a week ago."

                       Then Hunter added that he expected the season to
                       start in January. "Nothing has changed from last
                       week," Russ Granik, the NBA's deputy
                       commissioner, said in a statement after Hunter's
                       teleconference. "The union agreed that the NBA
                       had the right to reopen the contract if player
                       compensation reached 52 percent. The percentage
                       we paid to players last season soared to 57
                       percent, and the players' best offer so far is
                       that they be paid 60 percent.

                       "We agree with Mr. Hunter that we are not close
                       [ to getting a deal done ] ."

                       Meanwhile, the rookies stay in shape, shoot
                       baskets, lift weights, and try to find some good
                       pickup games.

                       "Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera," said Simon,
                       who was picked by Orlando. "For us, it's
                       basically the same thing. Myself and Toby [
                       Bailey ] both play a lot in Los Angeles, so it's
                       not that hard for us."

                       Staying fit in L.A. shouldn't be hard,
                       considering that Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal
                       and other former or present Lakers, along with
                       members of the Clippers, frequently work out on
                       UCLA's campus.

                       "But it's got to be hard for some of the other
                       guys," said Bailey, picked by the Lakers before
                       they traded his rights to Phoenix.

                       "I played at UCLA, so it's not hard for me to
                       get myself in game shape. But what about other
                       rookies who don't have that luxury? If I stay in
                       shape and get good runs in, I'll be better
                       prepared. That's about the only advantage I
                       have."

                       It's more than some other rookies have at the
                       moment.

                       ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.