Best of all time

From: "Robert A. Bowman"  <bowm0040>
Date: Sat, May 30, 1998 12:13 PM
To: giants@eisa.net.au
Subject: Re: Best of all time

In message <35703548.B584ED62@eisa.net.au> Warwick Janetzki writes:

> Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
> > Red Auerbach has said that he thought Russell was the best until
> > recently, citing what Jordan had done to pull a mediocre supporting cast
> > into a championship level team.  I don't agree with Red, but if Jordan
> > isn't
> > the best, he's surely 1-A.  I'm still with Russell.  Basketball is more
> > than
> > athleticism.
> >
> > Gene  (99 yesterday)
>
> Russell, Chamberlain, Bird, Johnson, Jabbar, Stockton are the core group who
> rate as top of the class.. Only when Stockton gets a ring will he be among
> the
> group though, but I think he is up there already, please give Stockton a
> ring!!!
>
> Warwick

Gentlemen and ladies,  it's an old argument but I will weigh in again with my
opinion.  Basketball is a team sport in which each member of the team must
contribute, even those who don't see much PT because they have to work hard in
practice to scrimmage the regulars.  The goal in basketball is not to score the
most individual points or awards but rather to win the big prize, the
championship banner and ring.  Thus, while individual accomplishments are great
and fun to watch, debate, and appreciate, the highest accolades must go to team
accomplishments.  The greatest team in the history of the NBA so far is without
a doubt the Russell led Celtics dynasty of the late 50's and all of the 60's.
Think about it: the Celtics won every championship in the 60's except the '67
one.  The one man who held constant over this entire span was Bill Russell.
Granted he had some great hall of fame players with him in the likes of Cousy,
Sharman, Havlicek, Jones-S & KC et al but it was Russell who made it all happen
with his defense, shot blocking, rebounding, clutch play and above all-- the
intensity and willingness to lay it all on the line.  I think others close to
his caliber include Magic, Jordan, & Bird but none of them are above him and no
one else other than those 3 mentioned come close to being in the same category
as Russell.  I see him as The Man in the first 50+ years of the NBA hands down.
Now I know there are many who never saw him play and see him as perhaps some
icon from the past.  My only response to you is, too bad, you really missed a
treat because when the Celtics went to war with Russell you could be damn sure
they'd win.

As for the Bulls, I know there's a lot of Bulls haters on the list but my
thinking on this is as follows: Jordan is indeed a once in a lifetime player and
if you're a BB fan there's no way you can't appreciate his skill, talent and
class.  The Bulls play team ball and know how to tighten down on defense.  Their
record speaks for itself.  If the Celtics can't win it I don't really care who
does as long as it's not the Lakers.  The Bulls I can stomach.  And yes, it
would be ok for Utah to win it but I really think the Bulls will pull it out
again.  If they do it will validate in my mind the greatness of Jordan forever
as he is obviously past his prime.  I hope he retires after this year leaving
all basketball fans with great memories of his incredible talents. The Bulls as
a team are in no way better than the early Celtics dynasty.

Just my opinions but I'm sure I'm right ;)
Bob