RE: Rules

I'm guessing that DJennsen has no experience reffing basketball. You cannot
learn the rules by watching basketball on TV! Tom Bisson, the person who
posted these rules, was right on.

Tom wrote and DJennsen responded:

><< Regarding real rules and plaground rules...
>>
>> Airballs: Rebounding your own airball is a legal play as long as the
>> shot was a legitimate attempt. Try to convince anyone on the playground
>> that's it's legal and you'll be branded as an idiot.>
>
>WRONG!!!!!! I've seen this called in high school and college alot.

RIGHT!!!!! Rule 4.42B in the National Federation of State High School
Associations case book states:
     "4.42B PLAY: A1 attempts a tray after ending the dribble. The try dose
not touch the backboard, rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to
catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No.
When A1 recovered his own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again.
There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (Rule
4-12-3a states that "Team control continues until the ball is in flight
during a try or tap for goal." Therefore, when the player releases a try,
airball or no, there is no team control and it is up for grabs.)

>>< Passing to yourself: If you haven't already dribbled the ball, you can
>> "pass the ball to yourself" by throwing down court (or wherever) and
>> then running up to it, after it has bounced at least once, and either
>> catching it or dribbling it. Sometimes this play happens by accident
>> when the ball either slips out of your hands or you passed the ball to
>> someone you thought was your teammate but who is just standing the
>> sideline.)>
>
>I can't imagine this not being traveling.

Of course it's not traveling. Throwing the ball ahead, letting in bounce
while you catch up to it and continue dribbling, is just like taking a
really long first dirbble. There is no rule limiting the number of steps a
player can take during one dribble.

>> Backcourt. Whoever touches the ball last is considered to have caused it
>> to go into the backcourt. This means that when a player on defense tips
>> the ball off the leg of an offensive player and then the ball goes into
>> the backcourt, if the offensive player touches the ball in the
>> backcourt, it's a violation. But on the playground, who cares? Play on!>
>
>This one is interesting. I think you are wrong though.

Once again, Tom is correct. It's just like the out of bounds rule. If the
defense tips the ball off the offensive players leg and out of bounds, the
violation is still on the offense. Same case here, whoever touched it last
is responsible.

There are so many rules that the common fan just does not understand. My pet
peeve is when fans start yelling "How about over the back!!" Folks, reaching
over the back is *not* a foul, and never has been! Get over it!
Thanks for the insight on the rules Tom.

Nathan A.
Release, Rotation, Splash!

The North Bend Sports Page: http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/arena/2430

Nebraska Cornhuskers, Simply the best.
1994, 1995, 1997...

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.