Re: Kids in the NBA

I agree kids should be able to come out of high school or early college.
Let's face it most athletic minded kids are not scholastically inclined.
Hope Roger Staubach and a few others don't mind that remark. The kids
should have a say in what's right for them. Employment wise the job pays
well to start. Even those not gifted enough for the NBA have a few other
continents to play on.

It's also up to the NBA to determine if one is ready. The draft would
filter out many not experienced enough. The league would have a real court
battle on their hands if they denied entrance on age or scholastic reasons.

There are many pluses for this. Colleges for one are not thrilled, but
we're not turning out many geniuses anyway. How bout the colleges paying
back these kids something in return for the $$$$$$$$ they bring their way.
You talk about slave labor or sweat shops, the colleges aren't innocent.
This is a new era, time for change.

>Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 11:39:25 EDT
>From: jwt2@lehigh.edu (jwt2@lehigh.edu)
>Subject: Re: Kids in the NBA
>
>John,
>
>You make some good points, but I have to disagree with you.  First of all, a
>lot of these "student athletes" are only in college because of basketball.
 If