Crzy trade idea

Well, since it seems to be the time of the year when we're supposed to
start making all kinds of wild trade suggestions that will never happen,
here's my contribution:

We trade: Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer, 1998 1st round pick
We get: Tim Duncan, plus whatever salary cap baggage the Spurs must
	include.

We then sign Tim Duncan long term for whatever it takes.

That gives us two All Star caliber players (Kenny Anderson, Tim Duncan),
at the two most important positions.  Duncan is unquestionably a better
long term building block than Walker.

Of course, this leaves us extremely weak at the 2-3-4 spots, but, hey,
nothing's for nothing.

We'd be set at center, and point guard.  We'd also be OK at power forward,
where DeClerq and Knight would probably enjoy being the second big men.

Of course, we'd be very weak at the 2 and 3 spots, but not without good
"role-player" types there.  Bruce Bowen can defend, Walter McCarty is a
great fit for a Rick Pitino coached team.  In a small lineup, Dana, who
can shoot, can get some time at the 2 guard.

And we would have some money to get a free agent shooting guard or
small forward before Duncan would have to be signed.

I don't see the Spurs going for it, but maybe they'd be enticed by the
hope of getting a top three pick out of the deal.  Nah...

Time to wake up.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnesw@stanford.edu