Jerry West interview.

Did anybody see the interview with Jerry West at halftime of the Knicks
game? You know, I hope the Lakers win it all this year. The Reason...Jerry
West. Did you guys catch the part about how West believes it's easier to
build a winner now in the NBA than ever before, because free agents are so
readily available. No whining...no bitching about salary cap restrictions.
He takes risks...he has guts...he makes moves...he gets it done. Picking up
Shaq was an incredibly gutsy move. He cleared the space that he needed...he
got it done. I can't tell you how many times I've heard things like Shaq
can't do this...Shaq can't do that...you'll never win with Shaq, Shaq's not
"our kind of player." Bottom-line...Shaq dominates his position...he
dominates TWO positions every night. He's unstoppable. West got rid of a
bunch of mediocre players and got it done. Kobe?  Again...he can't do
this...he can't do that. West saw the talent and took a gamble. He's 19. In
a couple years Kobe's going to be an unbelievable scoring threat from
anywhere on the court. He's got unbelievable skills when he puts the ball
on the floor and he's only going to get better. And if the Lakers don't
want to pay him a ton of money...what do you think they get in a trade
involving Kobe Bryant? Look...West looks at talent...period. If a player
has talent...he wants him. Talent before anything else. Talent doesn't
guarantee a winner...but you have no chance without world class talent.
West gets it. They might not win it all, but they're obviously closer than
the Celtics. And if the Celtics had all that talent? If the Celtics had had
anyone in their organization with the guts and vision of Jerry West? Maybe
Pitino will do it. I've said it once...I'll say it again...I think we'll
see how serious about winning this organization is  when they enter into
negotiations with Walker. Talent guys. West gets it and believe me...if he
has the chance to get a guy with as much talent as Walker...Walker's going
to be wearing purple and gold. Talent first...you worry about everything
else later. And to be honest, considering how low the Celtics have
sunk...how little talent there is on this team...how miserable this team is
on the offensive-end...I'd like to see this organization make talent the
number one priority just once.

But hey...maybe I'm just cranky because I have to clean out my basement.
Rotten kids.

Paul M.