Re: cap question

At 12:24 PM 5/8/98 -0400, gandahlf@capecod.net wrote:
>If we sign a player for a 100 million over 10 years does it mean
>
>a) average is ten million a year so that goes against cap??
>
>or
>
>b) the base year would be about 8 million so that goes against the cap???

The specific salary amount for each year of the contract counts against the
cap in the year to which it applies. Not the average, or only the base year
amount. However, it is only the base year we need to worry about fitting
under the cap to sign an outside FA in the first place. Our own FA that
qualify for the Bird Exemption, or Walker as a rookie contract signing, can
be signed for anything that first year, whether or not it fits under the cap.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net