the non Rick Fox trade

From: "Vinny Silvestri .. Digital Equipment Corporation .. (603) 672-4692
04-May-1998 1120" <silvestri@iminmk.ENET.dec.com>
Subject: Robert Parrish revisited

>A player that I think the Celtics should take a look at is one they
>could have had last year: Eric Dampier of the Golden State Warriors.

>It was rumored that the Celtics could have had him last year from
>Indiana in a trade for free-agent-to-be Rick Fox, but ML Carr refused
>to pull the trigger. Just another reason to dislike ML as GM. :-)

	I remember listening to the big show on WEEI the day of the
trading deadline when this whole thing was going down.  Rick Fox was on
the phone with Glenn Ordway.  They were talking about the possibility of a
trade when the hotel operator came on the line.  She said Rick's agent was
on the other line and that he needed to speak with Rick immediately.  Of
course there was rampant speculation by the Big O that a trade was
imminent.

	When the next day came and no trade had occurred, the conventional
wisdom was that the other team wanted Rick to agree to a contract
extension.  Since this didn't happen, the other team backed out because
they didn't want to lose him at the end of the season.  That same day ML
tried to put a positve spin on things by saying that the Celtics could
have traded Rick but didn't in order to show loyalty to him.

	Trading for Eric Dampier is a good idea, but it would take a lot
to get him.  Golden St. wouldn't trade him for our garbage.  They would
probably ask for Mercer.  If I were the Ricktator, I think I would do it.
A promising young center is a lot harder to come by than a promising young
off guard.  We could then use our #10 pick on the best player available,
which would probably be a swing man.

Jeremy