Re: Vote please

In message <351DB29E.159F@asiaonline.net>, John Liang said:
> Well, I was given impolite words time and again by saying Curtis Martin
> (of the Pats) stinks on this list.
>
> Instead of arguing with this character further, I ask you guys for a
> fair vote:
>
> Could a New England area fan posts something about our place but has
> nothing to do with the Cektics here on this list? If you donb't mind or
> said yes, I could, you are on my side. If you said no, you would be on
> the side of Mr. McMaster.
>
> I hate to agrue further. So I would follow the wishes of most guys on
> this list.
>
> John Liang

Hold on, there.  Yes, I objected to John's posting Patriots stuff to this
list in private email, but I fail to see where I was impolite.  Our complete
exchange on this topic consisted of first:

> Why on earth would you send this to the Celtics' list?  I am a Broncos' fan,
> and could care less about the Patsies.
>
> In message <3519E306.5CC7@asiaonline.net>, John Liang said:
> > Just read from the Globe that the Pats lost Martin. That sucks. This
> > Parcells guy is really a dirty ass hole, and to hell with Martin. I hope
> > he rot in NY.
> >
> > Then again, Jets isn't my most hated team -- if they continue to start
> > Glen Foley!
> >
> > John Liang

(There was a second message, which I apparently did not save, in which I said
I like to discuss other things, too, but do that in lists dedicated to those
subjects.  I do not recall being rude.  If Mr. Liang has a copy he is welcome
to post it.)

and the third:
> In message <351BC769.12B7@asiaonline.net>, John Liang said:
> > Well, I happened to subscribe only to the Celts list, and I am not the
> > only guy who talked trash on other non-Celtic things. We just like to
> > share our thoughts with friends. I remember somebody posting a whole
> > list worth on the WNBA, now that certainly is very un-Celtics. But who
> > cares!
> >
> > I hope you don't consider every one of us trash-talking dudes to be
> > enemies!
>
> So subscribe to other lists!  There is an active Pats' list, and you can
> probably find one on just about any topic you like.  As for the WNBA stuff, I
> think that was around the "two-ball" competition at the All-Star game, so was
> at least related to basketball.
>
> When sharing thoughts with friends, a least make some attempt to make sure
> the friends are interested.  I do not consider you an enemy, but I do wish
> you would reconsider posting completely unrelated stuff to the list.

In what way was I rude?  I told John he should find lists related to the
subjects he wants to talk about, and save this for discussion about the
Celtics.  I still do not consider him an enemy, but if he wants to start
maligning me in public, he is well on his way.  I ordinarily frown on posting
private email in public, but that is the only way to defend myself here.

I maintain the function of this list is to talk about the Celtics.  If Mr.
Liang wants a general list about New England, then he should find, or start
one.  He should not turn the Celtics list into one, just because it is the
only list to which he subscribes.  If the rest of you disagree, so be it.
This is my only decent source of information about the greatest franchise in
NBA history out here in Colorado.  I would like it to remain that way.

This will be my last post on this subject.  I do not wish to conduct a public
flame war.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmaster@sweng.stortek.com