Re:PeterMay

Hi:

In case you missed it, Peter May lobbies in the 8 March Sunday Globe for Andrew DeClercq to be selected to this Summer's Team USA (Dream Team). I reread the passage several times, convinced he must be joking. It reads:

"Ten players already have been chosen for the [World Championship] tournament, which is in Athens in late July and early August. Two more will be selected next month. You can be certain Tim Duncan will be one; there is no legit center on the roster (Vin Baker and Chris Webber come the closest). The other also will be from the NBA. Andrew DeClercq is available and is only a jump shot away from being a great player ."

Geez ! It's lame enough that he lists Vin Baker as a backup center. Can anyone explain what's going on?  Josh?

IMO, DeClercq is just another stiff, try-hard, weight-room white kid with average hands and no hops.   He is Joe Kleine Jr.

IMO also, the most miraculous aspect of our '97-98 Celts is that they win despite having two starters (DeClercq and Minor) who might not even be 12th men on about one-third of the other NBA teams.  Grazie Ricardo Pittino !!

JoeHironaka

P.S.  Oops, I think Joe Kleine actually played on Bob Knight's 1984 Olympic Gold Medal team, although so did Steve Alford...