Criticism of Walker

Mike Dynon wrote:

> IMHO, there is little constructive criticism of Antoine on this
> list--just criticism.

On the contrary, I think that whenever somebody says something even the
slightest bit critical of Antoine, people come out of the woodwork with
accusations of Anotione-bashing.  It simply isn't so.

To reiterate a point I tried to make a couple of months ago, the Celtics
will soon need to deicde whether to commit the next six years of the
organization's future to a 22 year old kid.  Forget the money, I don't
care what Antione gets paid.  The fact is, though, that the Celtics can
only afford one "franchise player".  As that player goes, so goes the
franchise.

Walker is already a huge talent, and I would be surprised if he does not
become a perrenial participant in All-Star weekend.  *However*, there have
plenty of other perrenial All-Stars who have not led their teams to the
Championship.

A couple of months ago, I posted that I thought we hadn't yet seen enough
of Walker to decide whether he is going to be a mere All-Star, or the player
who can bring us the 17th banner.  For merely posing that question (not
answering it), I was accused of bashing Walker.  Ridiculous.

I did point out a few disturbing aspects of his game (free throws,
inability/unwillingness to hit the open man, forcing up of poor shots,
etc.) as part of my point.  How can we as mere fans know whether these
parts of Walker's game will go away as he matures?

I'll admit that, as Celtic fans we are spoiled.  Nineteen years ago, we
handed our future to a then 22 year old kid.  Right from the outset,
though, this kid's game created offense, rather than forcing it, and
improved the play of his teammates, rather than simply carrying them.

Walker has already shown that he can carry the Celtics (witness the
Washington game).  But can he lead them?  I think it's a legitimate
question, and it is certainly not unfair to ask.  After all, he *is* the
future.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu