RE: Misc.

To answer one of your earlier questions, I do play organised sport
(tennis - doubles as well as singles). As a youngster, I used to play a
different type of organised called cricket - each team had 11 players on
it. I don't really see what that has to do with Walker's trash talking,
other than the fact that if one of your team-mates indulges in
trash-talking, it makes you squirm. Yes, I can well believe that Mercer
squirms when he sees Walker's wiggle and Walker's trash-talk.

Personally, I don't see any reason to push your superiority down your
opponent's throat. If you win on a given day, fine. It doesn't make you
a superior human being, however. You Cecil, and I (and Dorine and
everyone else on this list who hates trash-talking) belong to a
different mentality (perhaps a different generation). For example, at
tennis, when my opponent makes a good shot, I applaud it. I am
sufficiently confident of my manhood that I don't see my opponent's
calibre and quality of play as a threat to it.

Let me ask you a simple question - how many of the home team's fans are
willing to applaud when the visting team makes a good play? (In cricket,
they still do). I agree you want to see your team win, but does that
negate the quality of play your opponent brings to the court? In fact,
it is this very quality that forces you to improve your game. Why the
devil, therefore, can't you appreciate it?

Anyways, I am beginning to preach. 'Nuff said.

venkat