Re: Pierce

.

>> Garnett stuffs himself at the trough, Gugliotta's gotta go. Walker gets his
>> money, and the C's are hamstrung in getting someone else to help them win.
>
>> These guys are all greedy, giving lip service to the notion that , "Ijust
>> wanna win."
>
>Then again so do the owners. If the owners didn't get more money for
>making the playoffs(through season ticket renewals, playoff tickets
>etc...), do you think they would care either? The owners as just as much
>about the bottom line as players.
>
>> Falk is doing his clients a disservice because all he wants is
>> the biggest four percent he can get.
>
>And the owners do an even greater disservice by giving in to Falk. If
>the owners weren't so desparate to screw each other over by stealing
>each other's players, do you really think Falk would have any leverage?
>Falk merely exploits the owner's insatiable  drive to get a marketable
>player they can plaster on the media guide.

The owners aren't choirboys and you are right in saying that they are
trying to maximize their profit as well as the players. However, the fact
remains that demands for "market value" are preventing a lot of owners from
keeping more than one "marketable" player and are doing a disservice to the
fans by constantly fragmenting their favorite teams. How much damn money do
you need? Enough to keep your enterprise profitable, and the # of N.B.A
teams losing money has jumped up this year, despite the continued rise in
poularity. Whose fault is that? I think the salaries are out of control,and
I do agree that ownership has a hand in the blame for giving in to people
like Falk.(Re: Clippers/Bibby/Falk, Falk/Antoine/Nazr/Celtics "my client is
dissatisfied" with the C's not taking Nazr). My dad always told me that two
wrongs don't make a right. I'm not taking sides between the owners and
players, but both parties have to show some fiscal restraint or the whole
enterprise will come crashing down.

>> Hey Antoine, you want to make the
>> really big money?  Make reasonable
>> demands, so that the Celtics have room enough to get an elite squad around
>> you.
>
>Personally, I don't think Antoine cares. I think he's been fed on the me
>first bottle a little too long. Frankly I don't blame him. Looking at
>everyone else in basketball other than the players and coaches, who
>isn't in it for the money? The owners use the players to milk the city
>and the fans. Nike uses the players to sell overpriced shoes. Groupies
>try to weasel money out of the players. Why should the players be any
>different?
>
>> Then win!  A "Antoine Walker, World Champion," is going to clean up on
>> endorsements, much more so than "Antoine Walker, big #'s gunner on a losing
>> team."
>
>I doubt he or anyone in the NBA has the foresight.
>
>Noah
 So far, Antoine has proved you correct on this.
It really makes me sad to see the owners and players rushing toward their
doom like lemmings, but I think you're absolutely right, neither side can
see beyond their greed.

                                       Michael D.