Re: labor negotiations

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Malo <kmalo19@idt.net>
>Don't understand the last. The whole point of the Bird Exemption is that it
>makes it a soft cap, by providing a means to exceed the cap. Without that,
>it's not an exemption, because you can always re-sign your own eligible FA
>to whatever money you have available under the cap.

Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant was, that the only way a team
exceeds the cap limit is through the LB exemption. So what is new about it?
right now when a team exceeds the stipulated cap, it is not penalized (in
fact it is the norm).  In the new CBA, such a team will be asked to pay a
hefty sum back to the NBA in form of a luxury tax, which will then be
distributed equally amongst rest of the teams. The question is, will it
bring fiscal sanity ? I don't see that, because after all luxury taxes in
baseball haven't brought any fiscal responsibility in owners like
Steinbrenner and members of that ilk. The only hope is that since NBA has a
better revenue sharing plan than major league baseball, so it may dissuade
teams like New York to toe the line, rather than flex their financial muscle
to wiggle out of front office mistakes.
                                                                           -
Mishra