Crazy idea

OK, now that we've drafted Paul Pierce, and Micheal Holley says that
Walker will be traded (I don't quite believe that yet), how about this
bizarre concept:

	Antoine Walker and cap deadwood to the Spurs for David Robinson

C's lineup:

 C: Robinson
PF: Knight/DeClerq/Jones???
SF: Pierce
SG: Mercer
PG: Anderson

Who would fill in the other holes would depend on who we had to send to
San Antonio to balance Robinson's salary under the cap.  Greg Minor would
go for sure, probably along with Dana Barros or Travis Knight (which is
too bad, since Barros has a role on the C's, and Knight could be a good
power forward with Robinson at C.)

The C's would be in position to contend immediately, with good veterans at
center and point guard, the 2 most important positions.  Mercer should be
better than he was last year, and Pierce is a talented rookie.  Travis (if
here), DeClerq, or Popeye could be the power forward.

The bench would feature Walter McCarty and Bruce Bowen (useful players but
not starters), along with whichever players are still here (hopefully
Dana).

The C's would also get a huge amount of cap room as soon as Robinso
retires, which would allow them to go free agent shopping.

Meanwhile, the Spurs would have two of the top young players in the game.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu