Re: Rodgers

At 09:30 PM 6/23/98 -0500, hartleyo@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>Bob Miller wrote:
>>
>> >While Jackson's exit from Chicago is a virtual lock, spies say Bulls
>> >assistant Jimmy Rodgers walked away when told he was not going to be the new
>> >head coach.
>>
>> I'm happy for Rodgers. Whoever gets the post-Jackson (and probably
>> post-Jordan) job is in a can't-win situation. Just like Rodgers after
>> taking over from K.C. As they say, been there, done that.

>He was probably told he wouldn't be the head coach because he was a
>terrible head coach. Remember when he coached the Celtics he decided to
>alter Bird's game by making him a Point Forward. I guess he will try to
>alter MJ's game if he became their coach. Good decision by the Bulls.

While I agree that he was a bad head coach, he didn't try to alter Bird's
game by making him a point forward. As far as that term has any meaning,
Bird already was one. He merely tried to get Bird to recognize that his
skills were eroding a bit (mainly because of the assorted health problems)
and maybe he shouldn't take every shot. Bird threw a nutty, hence the big
'point forward' brouhaha. But given the amount of time he always had brought
the ball up and set up the offense, Bird already was playing point forward.
And the alter MJ's game point is equal nonsense. Jackson already did that by
turning MJ into more of a team player, looking to involve his teammates
rather than only ever doing it as a last resort.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net