Re: Pitino on Walker

>Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:41:52 -0500
>From: Sherry & Hart <hartleyo@ix.netcom.com>
>To: Mike Dynon <mdynon@ix.netcom.com>
>CC: celtics@igtc.COM
>Subject: Re: Pitino on Walker
>
>Mike Dynon wrote:

The
>> >C's also have the tenth pick to obtain more frontcourt help, perhaps
>> >someone like Ansu Sesay, or with luck, one of the drifting two.
>>
>> The logic of this escapes me.  From Vancouver's viewpoint, they've
already
>> given a big contract to Reeves.  Walker and Rahim would have to be
re-signed
>> in the same year.  How could they afford it?  And from Boston's
viewpoint,
>> how many times do they start over?  Do you rebuild the team every
year?
>> Walker should be a cornerstone, not a means to dump salary cap
deadwood.
>> Also, there's apparently no one in the draft as good as Walker, so we
why
>> would we trade him for a draft pick?  If you dump Walker to free up
cap
>> space, you can't then waste that money on signing a nobody like
Corliss
>> Williamson.  Even Googs, coming off an injury, may not be worth it.
>>
>> Mike Dynon
>The logic of this escapes me as well, but I have figured out that there
>are people who write absurd nonsense on this list just to stir things
>up. If they really believe what they write about trading Walker, it may
>be  a legitimate idea, but why would anyone want to trade him for an
>unknown entity such as the projected 1st round pick in this years
draft.
>There isn't a draft expert around that has projected a can't miss in
>this years draft. In fact this draft is considered one of the weakest
in
>years. The other reason is that there are some that just want to trade
>Walker since they probably just despise his manner on the court, which
>find a little boorish myself, but I tolerate it because I believe he
>will definitely be one of the superstars of this league within the next
>2-3 years and in that time will grow up and mature. I know this for
>sure, he comes to play hard every game and it is rare when he cheats
the
>fans by taking a night off. The true C's afficionados know that in
their
>grasp right now they have a good young nucleus of talent to build from,
>I am talking about Anderson, Mercer and Walker. They just have to
>continue to plug their holes and you just don't do that by trading off
>one of your young stars. If you trade one of your young stars it
>accomplishes nothing and would probably just weaken the team. I think
>that some of those Pitino wannabees don't remember when they won 5 of 6
>games they played when we got to see those 3 players  playing together
>before Kenny got hurt. Pretty exciting I think. Under any circumstances
>TRADING WALKER would be a HUGE MISTAKE.
>Regards
>Hart

Apparently there are people on this list with a limited scope of
comprehension.  Let's see, the C's move Walker and one of their salary
cap dregs and pick up Olowokandi, whom most people consider will be
one of the top five or ten centers in the NBA.  And with the added
salary cap space, the C's can then go out and acquire a quality
forward, whether it's Googs, Williamson, Caffey, etc.  Sounds pretty
good to me.  Not that the trade would ever happen.  I'm sure David
Falk would put the kibosh on Antoine ending up with a Canadian team,
and the salary cap difficulties of signing both Rahim and Walker make
the deal unfeasible.
WC