Re: More Walker rumours

-----Original Message-----
From: Icarus <skmishra@sprintmail.com>
To: celtics@igtc.COM <celtics@igtc.COM>
Date: Friday, June 19, 1998 12:14 AM
Subject: More Walker rumours

>Peter Vescey in his NY Post writes:
>
>On the other hand, nobody was rooting harder for the Bulls to beat the Jazz
>than Rick Pitino. Obviously, if Jordan returns and Pippen re-ups (we're
>positive he won't accept anything less than a two-year blow-up deal), the
>Bulls won't have the financial wherewithal to seduce Antoine Walker a year
>from now when the Chicago-bred All-Star becomes a free agent.
>
>Understand this: If the Bulls don't have what it takes to pry away Walker
>from the Celtics, he'll stay put. There is no third option. It's either the
>Celtics (at roughly $15 million per; unless the salary cap rules change
this
>summer) or the Bulls at comparable money. And you can quote me.

Once again Peter Vecsey rears his ugly head. Except this time he is stating
the obvious.
You wouldn't be a Celtic fan if you didn't see this scenario played out. One
of the reasons I
was cheering for the Bulls. I don't see the need to sign Walker now. It
hurts the Celts too much on the free agent front. If he is signed first
thing on July 1 then there is no money to sign anyone. Also the fact remains
that the CBA will be changed. Look at it this way you want to buy a car. The
car might go on sale in a month at a reduced price. Nobody else can buy the
car now. Do you go ahead and buy the car now or would you wait. Sure you
might invoke some disdain from the dealer but what can he really do. To me
it is obvious. Walkers value will not lessen any between here and the start
of the season anyway.

Art
the