Peter May: Celtics To Trade Walker To Move Up In The Draft?

Here's what Peter May said in today's Boston Globe:

"Celtics head man Rick Pitino confirmed yesterday that Antoine Walker's name
has been mentioned in trade proposals.  One deal would have had the Celtics
exchange Walker and some contract deadwood to move up in the draft.  'I'm 90
percent convinced that we will re-sign him,' said Pitino.  'But I have to think
about that other 10 percent as well.'  Under normal circumstances, the Celtics
would have from July 1 to Oct. 1 to re-sign Walker.  But with a lockout, those
dates may be meaningless... Pitino said he has warmed more to the caliber of
players in next week's draft and indicated that Kansas power forward Raef
LaFrentz whom he likes a lot is slipping.  All the way to 10?  Not likely. But
the team may bring in LaFrentz for a workout just in case."

In other news, I heard Celtics chief scout Leo Papile on WEEI this morning, and
he said his sleeper pick is the guy from Duke: Roshown McLeod.  He could be in
the league for the next ten years, was Leo's opinion.  Hmmmm.  Papile is also
very high on Keon Clark, but feels he may be drafted before the Celtics have a
chance at him.  He also indicated that both LaFrentz and Jamison are dropping;
while LaFrentz probably won't be available, Jamison may go in the 6 to 9 range.

My suggestion for the C's would be to move two or three spots up in the draft,
so they can avail themselves of either Jamison or LaFrentz.  That may be a
possibility if a future first round choice is included, preferably not next
year's lottery pick though.

WC