re:Zebras

At 15:58 5/06/98 +0200, Joe Hironaka wrote:
>Hi list:
>
>I'm wondering...
>
>Can a zebra "legally" whistle a technical foul for player-to-player
>trashtalking according to the rulebook? Is there some sort of
>league-wide directive on this?  Has anyone ever seen a technical foul
>called for a non-contact, verbal exchange involving players while the
>ball is in play (not involving or directed at coaches, fans or
>officials)?
        Well it looks as though I get to come out of lurking again, to
answer another question in regards to how FIBA sees this situation.  I
actually answered this in my last mail, as the rule for this falls into
Article 52. Section 2a.

A player shall not disregard admonitions by Officials or use
unsportsmanluike tactics such as:
        Disresectfully addressing or contacting an oOffical, the Technical
Commissioner, the Scorers, or "The Opponents".

Therefore legally you can receive a technical foul for "Trash Talking".  In
my career as a referee (I guess that's how I know the FIBA rules) I have
technical fouled players for "Trash Talking" but only when it gets to the
stage where what they are saying belongs in the gutter and other people (ie.
spectators) can hear what is being said.  Generally though, if two players
are trash talking eachother then you let it go.  I always thought that if
you'd managed to reach the level I was umpiring at and you couldn't handle
your oposition saying you were a chump then you didn't deserve to be out there.

Dave