boston media

          Speaking as a member of the sports media (on a MUCH smaller
          scale than Boston, mind you), I have to say those of you so
          critical of the Globe sports staff don't appreciate what you
          have.

          Think about it. You can read nationally recognized
          columnists like Bob Ryan, Peter Gammons, Bud Collins and
          Will McDonough -- not to mention the outstanding Dan
          Shaughnessy, who nationally is ranked just a notch below the
          Mitch Alboms of the sports writing world -- every day.

          These guys not only are talented, knowledgable, insightful
          writers; they are honest. Some fans -- and I understand this
          -- don't appreciate that honesty when it reflects poorly on
          their favorite team or player. It's why two different people
          can read the same story and one come away angry at the
          player (Walker, for example) and the other angry at the team
          (our beloved Celts).

          I'm no Ryan, Gammons, Shaughnessy or Peter May, but I know
          that people DO hate the messenger for delivering the
          message.

          Remember, the people who are complaining now about what the
          Globe is writing would be complaining just as violently if
          it was writing nothing at all about the Celtics. The truth
          is there is an issue between Walker and the Celts. The Globe
          is reporting that and, rightfully so, trying to explain it.
          The Globe didn't cause this problem and it's not making it
          worse. And, finally, the Globe can't fix it either. That's
          up to Walker, Pitino and Gaston.

          Mark