RE: RP & Williams

I have to disagree, Wiliams was a move expensive mcCarty.  Not big enough
for the 4, not quick enough or a good enough outside shooter for the 3.

On Wednesday, January 28, 1998 9:16 AM, K. Kveraga
[SMTP:6166kkver@umbsky.cc.umb.edu] wrote:
> Adam Suchocki wrote:
>
> > Now, to be honest, I love watching this team play, and I've gained a
ton of respect for Pitino as a coach.  But I'm not willing to cut him a ton
of slack for the bad rookie mistakes he made in his first stint as an NBA
GM.  He has corrected a lot of his initial personell mistakes with a lot
more poise than he had early on, but the truth of the matter is...the
talent pool for this team is not as big as it could have been if more
planning and restraint had been used early on.  No amount of spin is going
to ma
> > ke me believe that it was reasonable to spend all of our cap room
before the salary cap was raised (every other team in the league seemed to
understand the need to wait) - and no amount of spin is going to make me
believe that we got fair value for Williams.

> These are my sentiments as well. Granted, I may be biased - Pitino's
getting rid of E. Williams did not exactly endear the GM part of RP to me,
since I loved watching Eric work in the paint, and thought he and Walker
would become a powerful duo on offense. However, right after Pitino dumped
Williams, one of Boston's sportswriters (May? Ryan?) wrote that his litmus
test for Pitino was how he was going to deal with Williams. According to
the scribe, Pitino saw through the gaudy numbers and sparkling offensive
> repertoire the selfish stat chaser etc. etc. that Eric was, and promptly
rid the Celtics of this cancer, thus passing the litmus test with flying
colors. (Can't guarantee the exact details, but that was the gist). I was
surprised, to say the least, about the writer's opinion of Eric, since I
had never thought of him as a Todd Day type. Obviously, a scribe is closer
to the action than the fans are, as fans usually don't get to fly on the
team plane, sit at the press table, and hold private conversations with
> players and coaches. Another (remote) possibility is that the guy, for
one reason or another, was trying to rationalize the departure of a
talented young forward.