Trade notes

Wow, that is an interesting trade offer especially after
Pitino had said that he wasn't interested in pursuing
Stoudamire due to the large contract he'd demand.

I should note that we won't really have $8 million in cap
room because 1.5xStoudamire's salary counts against the
cap until he signs.

Stoudamire is a sure-fire All-Star on a winning team. He's
also a clutch player from what I've seen. If Pitino doesn't
want to re-sign him, he could trade him to another bidder
for a big man and probably even a decent point guard while
dumping Barros and Brown. I'd love to see us keep him.

Camby has been somewhat disappointing but he definitely fills
a role since he is an excellent shot-blocker. I believe he's
a natural power forward and would let Walker move to SF. Again
if he doesn't fit he can easily be traded.

It seems Williams is being dumped by Toronto because he's a
salary burden and they no longer want him (maybe he was one
of Thomas' proteges?)

As for what we're giving up - Billups and the 1998 draft pick
are the main assets. Our 98 pick will probably be in the mid
to low lottery and likely not be an immediate impact player,
but a solid eventual long-term starter, which is something
Toronto needs more than us.

Knight and Declerq are somewhat longer-term projects. It leaves
us even thinner up front but they can be replaced. Minor has no
future in Boston but can probably make the rotation in Toronto.
Rogers is similar. I would expect us to sweeten this more before
the deal happens though.

Side note:
Bill Cooper mentioned that Declerq had 4 fouls in 3 minutes,
a possible record. Earlier this season, Don Nelson had an
interesting strategy to send in one of his players foul Rodman
away from the ball during critical possessions, since Rodman
was shooting around 30% from the line at the time. Rodman ended
up making most of them. Anyways the player fouled out in a
ridiculously short amount of minutes; this may be the record.