Re: Bird the Hick

>And regarding that insane ESPN article regarding Bird leaving the team, I
>first surmised that this was horsepoop made up by a rookie reporter looking
>for an angle.  Then I concluded that we are talking about one of the most
>respected sports news reporting agencies in the world, and it wouldn't seem
>likely they would allow blatant untruths to be reported without some
>foundation.

I don't think so.  This was an article written by one person.  No person or
news agency is infallible.  It doesn't have to be a rookie reporter either,
lots of veterans have difficulty separating personal feelings from actual
truth.  It isn't wise just to accept something even though it appears to
contradict what you know to be true.

>Regardless it is true that RP has done more with less, than was ever
>expected, and LB has done what is expected with a veteran team.

So you expected the Pacers to be second in the Eastern conference this
year?  Based on what?  Certainly not their finish last year, with a very
respected NBA coach.  LB has done something that is also very difficult:
turn around a veteran team.  Getting a losing veteran team to win is not
much easier than a losing young team.

  At this
>point I am more impressed by far with RP than LB as an NBA coach.

I'd have to agree.  Rick Pitino, with how many years of coaching
experience?, is probably a better NBA coach than Larry Bird with roughly 40
games under his belt.

>believe, or at least hope, RP will have a much longer and deeper success
>(championships) than LB and the Pacers could ever imagine.  I can see LB
>running out of steam in 2 to 3 years in rebuilding, having to deal with
>rooks, just when RP is hitting on all cylinders and not looking back.

And I could see him getting more experience, weeding out the prima donnas,
and getting the most out of players and bringing the Pacers to a higher
level.  Your scenario is also possible, but no more likely.

>The bottom line Dan is more or less right IMO in analyzing Bird as a
>returning coach to his old stomping grounds.  He has luck on his side right
>now to a large degree, but will eventually come down to earth.  I am sorry
>he left Boston in the manner he did, but hope he can return for each game
>keeping in decorum in line.

You have shown nothing to prove that Dan is more or less right.  I still
say his criticism is totally unfounded and mostly bitter, for a reason I
don't understand.  And I'd have to disagree that it is luck that has the
team winning.  Even Bird (the arrogant one, remember?) says that it is a
players league, and players win and lose games, not the coaches.  But it is
partly that attitude that has probably helped the team to be much better
than last year and than most people expected.

Matt