Why consider a Walker trade?

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Cecil Wright wrote:

> Mike, I'll bet that the majority of Celtic fans believe they've seen
> enough to be convinced that AW IS the kind of franchise player Boston
> needs.

If that's true, then I'll bet that a majority of Celtic fans haven't taken
all factors into consideration.

> Like anyone else his age, he is erratic at times, but he has few
> peers when it comes to athleticism and raw talent.  If you watched the
> way he schooled Juwan Howard on that crossover dribble drive to the
> basket, I think you'd reconsider.  He's also one of the top rebounders in
> the league at his position and he'll improve with age.

Except for the rebounding, you could say the exact same thing about
Dominique Wilkins after his first 1.5 years in the league.  And, I'll bet
that any Atlanta Hawks fans who suggested trading Wilkins after that point
were considered crazy.  Using hindsight, however, we all know that Wilkins
didn't lead the Hawks across the street, even in his prime.

Walker, like Wilkins, has a lot of "me first" tendencies to his game.  HE
doest give the ball up on the fast break.  Is this because he wants to do
it all himself, or lacks the skill to make those passes?  If it is a lack
of skill, is it something that he will learn over time, or will t always
be a hole in his game?  Walker also doesn't often pass out of double and
triple teams.  Is that because he won't, or can't?  If he can't, will he
ever learn?

The Celtics must answer those questions based on 2-3 years of Walker's
play.  After that, they will have to sign him to a contract that will make
him the number one player on the team for the next seven years.  There
won't be enough money after that to add a second mega-star, and the
Celtics draft position will never be good enough to pick one up that way.
Once he is signed, the Celtics will live (if his desire to win is
something akin to that of Jordan, Bird, or Magic) or die (if he is
more like a Dominique Wilkins) with him for the next seven years.

If Walker is not the Celtics savior (just as Dominique was not the savior
of the Hawks), then they will be unable to get rid of him given his
salary, and they will condemn themselves to seven years of mediocrity.  If
Walker is the savior, then after signing hm it will simply (but not
easily) be a matter of building the supporting cast around him.

I don't doubt that Walker is going to be (if he isn't already) a star.