David Aldridge Article from ESPNet

Man, Oh Man am I glad this deal didn't go down.  Do we need a big man?
Yes.  Do we need Mashburn?  Honestly, we can do better.  Do we need Austin
for half a season and maybe no more?  At the cost of our rookies?  Bad
deal.  I might have thought about Billups and anyone but Walker or Mercer,
but not Billups and Mercer.

Thought this might be of interest to folks.  Hope we pull more magic in
Chicago tonight!

Celtics douse Heat's pursuit of Richmond

                       By David Aldridge
                       Special to ESPN SportsZone

  David Aldridge archive

  ALSO SEE

  Aldridge bio

                       Jan. 6, 1998

                       Scrooge stands 5-foot-10, has wavy black hair and
used to run a restaurant in Lexington, Ky., called
                       Bravo Pitino.

                       At least that's how Riles sees it.

                       Miami thought it had a deal last week. After months
of trying, Heat coach Pat Riley thought he finally
                       figured out a way to get Mitch Richmond to South
Beach: a three-way deal with Boston and
                       Sacramento.

                       The principles: Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer were to
                       form the Kings' new backcourt; Richmond would join Tim
                       Hardaway in Miami; and Jamal Mashburn and Ike Austin
                       would go to Boston.

                       What wasn't to like? The Kings have been looking for
guards
                       since Otis Birdsong left in 1981. The Celtics need a
man in
                       the middle, even though they've gotten encouraging
play of
                       late from Pervis Ellison. And who's gonna get more
out of
                       the Monster Mash than Boston's Rick Pitino, Mashburn's
                       coach at Kentucky?

                       Miami? Just look at the tape of the Hots' Christmas
game with
                       the Bulls. Fourth quarter. Hardaway had just drilled
a couple
                       of threes to tie the score. Phil Jackson put Michael
Jordan
                       back on the floor, MJ promptly locked Tim up, and Miami
                       had no one else to take a shot. Heat loses. Again.
Dennis
                       Rodman yuks it up.

                       Rock Richmond changes all of that.

                       But he won't right now.

                       Boston said no thanks, we'll keep what we've got.

                       There were several reasons, but the most important
ones centered around Austin. The C's just weren't
                       sure about two big issues. First, they had no
certainty they would be able to re-sign Big Ike when he
                       becomes a free agent at season's end. They figure
Austin is looking for something between Brian
                       Williams' $45 million deal and Bryant Reeves' $66
million deal. And that's a little too rich for their
                       blood right now.

                       The reason for that? Boston wasn't sure what they'd
have once Austin inked a big-money deal. It has
                       been less than two years since he was playing
abroad, about 60 pounds heavier. Maybe he's got the
                       hang of things now, but the C's aren't yet convinced
Austin has beaten the battle of the bulge. So they
                       took a pass.

                       (Of less importance, but no less encouraging, has
been the improved play of
                       Billups at the point.)

                       Boston's nyet hasn't changed Miami's resolve to deal
Austin before the trading
                       deadline. The Hots know they likely won't be able to
keep Austin after July 1; all
                       they can do is offer him a Buck Williams exception
to the cap (at the league
                       average) next year.

                       Keep in mind, again, that Ike was in no one's plans
two years ago. That Miami
                       could even get close to getting Mitch Richmond for
him is a testament to Austin's
                       work -- and Riley's gumption.

                       The Kings will get a Richmond deal done. There's no
hope for a reconciliation,
                       and Sacramento feels -- with some justification --
that there's a future to think about. Corliss
                       Williamson has been a pretty big surprise at power
forward. Michael Stewart needs to grow an
                       offense next summer, but he has the important end --
the shot-blocking and rebounding part -- down
                       pretty well.

                       Keep in mind that Sacramento will likely say goodbye
to Billy Owens and Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf after
                       this season, and that the Kings will finally get
under the cap. Factor in another high draft pick, and
                       Sacramento at least has some dreams. (Hey, they'll
get to play the Nuggets and Mavericks the next
                       few years and pad their win total, at least.)