Re: TO: ALEX WANG....

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Alex Wang wrote:

> If you look at my last post, I explained very clearly that if Walker was
> a player who say, shot like Jordan (45%), he would be hitting one more
> shot per game (2 points) on AVERAGE. Where are my silly assumptions?
> There is no disputing that if Walker hit one shot per game that he currently
> misses, he would be shooting 45%. Two shots per game (4 points) would make
> it 50%. If you know anything about pro basketball, you know that shooting 50%
> for 20 shots a game is pretty damn good. I won't repeat the rest of the
> argument because everyone else on the list probably got it the first time around.

I guess I'm slow.

One silly assumption is that if Walker is hitting 50% of his shots, he
must not be taking bad shots.  Walker could quite conceivably hit 50% of
his shots and still be chucking up 2 or 3 terrible shots a game.  Which
would be costing the Celtics points.

A low shooting percentage suggests bad shots are taken, and a high
percentages suggests good shots are taken, but unless you're watching the
actual game you're not going to know for sure.

Red was right: Burn the damn stat sheets.

Dan