Interesting comments from TV coverage last night

Some of the interesting things learned during interviews with Kenny Anderson
and Rick Pitino, and from Gorman & Heinsohn's commentary last night:

Kenny Anderson was a big fan of Tiny Archibald growing up.  Now he's wearing
the same number for the same team, and looks about the same size, and does
a lot of the same things.  He's made himself into one of his idols!  How
many of us can say that.

Kenny Anderson's mom was thrilled with the trade, since he'll be close to
home.  Also, just after the final horn sounded ending the game, and the
players started getting up from the bench and going to the locker room,
the camera shot was a close up of Kenny, and he turned to the camera and
said something that looked like "Hi, Ma", and blew a kiss.  I hope that
means he'll feel at home here.

Anderson said that in Portland, since their style of offense was slower and
more structured, he had to try to fit his game into "the system".  He said
that before the Seattle game, Pitino told Anderson "don't worry about trying
to fit into any system, just take the ball and do your thing".  Kenny
added "I'm free!" with a big smile on his face.  He said his game is to be
creative, and he's allowed to do that here and encouraged to.  He added
"nothing against Portland, they're just a different kind of team" (with
different needs).

Pitino said the trade was a "no-brainer", and that it was the easiest
personnel decision he made all year.  He still thinks both teams won in the
trade by getting what they needed.  He said he called his buddy PJ Carlissimo
before the trade, asking about Anderson's intangibles, and PJ said he was an
absolute joy to coach, worked hard in practice, did everything that was asked
of him, etc., etc.   Right after that call, Pitino made the deal.

Anderson said repeatedly in interviews that he just wants to "do whatever
the coach asks me to do."

Popeye Jones sounded genuinely hopeful that he could re-sign with the
Celtics and play for Pitino.  He said he was a big fan of Pitino as a
coach when he was in college (except probably when playing against him).
Heinsohn said during the game that Jones was one of the best rebounding
power forwards in the league (the stats I saw at www.nba.com seem to back
this up), and we all know the Celtics desperately need rebounding help.  It
might be a good thing if Popeye could play minutes at PF with Antoine at SF.
But then again, I wouldn't feel bad if Popeye were simply renounced to make
room for a big free agent signing which would solve the rebounding problem
in a different way.

In Heinsohn's opinion "Walker never had an easier 25 points all season", and
he thinks if Walker hustles up court after turnovers, he'll get an extra 2
or 3 dunks/layups a game from having Anderson there.

Someone on this list just said Mercer's been playing great lately.  Yes,
I've noticed it too!  He may turn out to be more valuable than Walker.
He had two impressive offensive rebounds last night, coming out of nowhere
to grab the ball and dunk it all in one motion.