Re: Cap questions

At 12:55 AM 2/19/98 -0500, Rohan Prashad <rprasha@clemson.edu> wrote:
>I have a couple questions about the salary cap that someone on this list
>should be able to answer.
>
>1) Does the lucrative new TV contract with NBC raise the cap any?  If it
>does, has it done so already?

Nope. Beginning next year. Exact amount of the increase not yet determined,
but an estimated $6-8MM

>2) If Dino Radja comes back to an NBA team (Denver is rumored to be
>interested!) do we get the cap relief for his contract?

Nope, because there no longer *is* a contract. The Cs bought it out then
waived him. That means the current payments and his counting on their cap
are due to the buyout, not the contract, which no longer exists. Nothing
that Dino does once the buyout was done and he passed waivers has any effect
on the Cs. He's only on their cap for this year, BTW, so that's not a big deal.

>3) Before Dee got traded I thought to myself, as captains he and Pervis
>should take the initiative, (since they weren't getting any playing time
>or helping the team), and take a pay cut for the good of the team.
>Although, I like Dana much better than Dee, and Dana actually makes a
>good contribution, should we consider making Dana co-captain and try the
>same scenario with Dana and Pervis?  I'd hope at least Outta-Service
>would consider it, so we could have a better chance to sign a FA.

You're dreaming. And in fairness to them, it's not their fault ML overpaid
them to contracts that were too long.
Also seems to me that the NBA is not as user friendly as the NFL on this
sort of thing, and it may not be as simple as this anyways.  Not 100%
positive on that, just a vafue memory of problems with this in the past.

>I think we're paying around 2.5 million dollars for Dino to play in
>Greece.  It would be nice to get that money.  These figures might be
>wrong, but we get 2.8 million if we renounce Tabak and Jones (it will
>happen, no ifs about it) another .4 for Edney(?) + the 1 million dollar
>exception, although I'm also not sure how that works.

Nope, we're paying Dino for the buyout of his contract, as a separate (but
obviously related to why he was willing to go there) issue from his playing
in Greece. And as I said above, it's just this year on our cap.  Why should
we renounce the guys? The 7 footer can give us come fouls and minutes, and
they're FA at the end of the year anyways. Renouncing them doesn't mean we
don't have to pay them, nor does it remove them from our cap -unless you
mean next summer and renouncing their FA rights. We didn't get the $1MM
exemption, because we went under the cap when we renounced all our FA last
summer. The exemption is only for teams over the cap to sign outside FA.
Maybe next year.
<snip>

><HTML>
>I have a couple questions about the salary cap that someone on this list
>should be able to answer.

<snip>
Please don't post in HTML. Seriously pointless waste of bandwidth to get the
entire message twice, complete with all the HTML flags. Thanks.

-Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net