Report Card

        Could someone do a report card (not statistical) on the Celtics now
     that it is mid-season?  I do not see enough games, all I see are
     national televised games and when they play the L.A. teams.  I am
     looking for areas of improvement, what they need to work on, etc.
     Some of my own thoughts (from limited exposure).

     McCarty - Get in the weight room.  This guy needs to be pulling down
     10+ rebounds with his energy and height.  Not a future starter, but a
     valuable guy off the bench.

     Knight - Join Walter in the weight room.  When I first heard 22
     million I was hoping it was for 22 years.  After seeing him all last
     year in L.A. I believe he is a back-up center/forward and that is all.
     He does not appear to have the body to bang against first-string
     centers/power forwards.  Last year with better players around he was a
     good offensive rebounder (hustle rebounds) and has a decent mid-range
     jumper when there is a point guard to drive and dump it off to him.

     Billups - I saw flashes of brilliance against the Lakers in L.A. (the
     only game I have seen them in person).  The 3rd quarter when he drove
     around Van Exel a couple times (although everybody has been doing that
     lately), then when Nick laid off Chauncey was draining 3-pointers in
     over him.  Some great defense at the end also.  Top priority should be
     signing a veteran point guard to work with Billups.  Is Minnesota done
     with Porter now that Marbury is an all-star (forget 4 Lakers on the
     all-star team, Marbury got screwed).  Flash to the future (hopefully
     near future) and picture a real point guard (I hope it's Billups)
     driving and dumping off to Knight and DeClerq for dunks, or passing
     out to Barros and Mercer spotting up for wide open threes, or leading
     the fast break and dishing to Mercer and Walker for monster dunks.

     Mercer - Work on your 3-point range.  A 2 guard in this league needs
     that type of range.  How is his defense?  With his athelticsm, can he
     drive and finish ala Eddie Jones?  Probably a real point guard would
     help this guy alot.  Definite keeper and starter for many years to
     come.

     Walker - When the real point guard arrives or materializes in Billups,
     I hope Antoine gives him the ball to run the fast break.  Really is
     quite the player, just needs to mature (better shot selection, less
     turnovers, etc.)

     Others - Barros is probably a keeper. Rogers had some great blocks
     against the Lakers, what's up with him?  Bowen, defensive stopper?
     Thomas, Jones, etc, pick one to back up Vin Baker in 2 years (see
     other post).

     One last note.  I finally saw Van Horn (against the Lakers) last week.
      It made me ill.  Where was the luck of the leprechuan (sp?) on
     lottery day?  With Van Horn or Duncan, we would be in the playoffs and
     primed to attract the big name free agents.

     dsb