That was then; this is now

Interesting Article from today's Boston Globe.

Roger B.

Celtic update: That was then; this is now

By Michael Holley, Globe Staff

OK, it's time for everyone to sit back in the NBA chaise chair and be
honest with themselves. The subject of today's confessional is the
Boston Celtics. The idea: Harken back to October and try to recall what
you thought of the Celtics.

Remember, this is an honesty test. There are going to be times you look
a bit silly when you tell the truth. For example, there was the
well-paid Celtic fan who said in November that Tyus Edney is the team's
best point guard. That fan's name is Rick Pitino. Hey, Rick. Don't worry
about it. You said what you felt, which is the point of the following
now that we're at the All-Star break:

DANA BARROS

What we thought: He would be launching 3-pointers either in the shadows
of the Liberty Bell or Rocky Mountains. The Celtics were thinking trade,
and Barros's name came up often.

What we see: ''He's playing like he did in his All-Star year,'' Antoine
Walker said of his teammate. Barros is playing point guard for the first
time in his career and, amazingly, is already one of the top three
backups in the league. And he's doing it in Boston.

CHAUNCEY BILLUPS

What we thought: No one expected Michael Jordan, Grant Hill, or
Dominique Wilkins (other No. 3 draft picks). But when the Celtics
elected not to re-sign David Wesley, popular thought was that major
point guard minutes would go to Billups.

What we see: The life and times of a typical rookie point guard -
brilliance standing side by side with the ''What were you thinking?''
vibe. The 6-foot-3-inch Billups is shooting well below 40 percent but
always seems to make a big 3-pointer in the fourth quarter.

BRUCE BOWEN

What we thought: Who is this dude?

What we see: Take a long look at No. 12. He is the team's best
man-to-man defender.

DEE BROWN

What we thought: Based on the Fleet Center crowd's response to his name
at the draft party in June (he was booed), most people wanted him out of
town. At times during the summer, it looked as if the fans' wishes would
be accommodated.

What we see: A man who may have turned in one of the greatest home
farewell performances in Celtic history. It certainly appears Brown will
be dealt before the Feb. 19 deadline. If that is the case, he left a
great image behind (a team-record eight 3-pointers against the
Mavericks).

ANDREW DeCLERCQ

What we thought: A decent big man who can run and surprise you when you
least expect it.

What we see: See above.

TYUS EDNEY

What we thought: Why are the Celtics signing him when they are already
stocked with point guards?

What we see: Edney on the bench because the team has too many point
guards.

PERVIS ELLISON

What we thought: Pitino has more fun with Paul Gaston's money, buying
out the remaining years on Ellison's contract.

What we see: Ellison and Pitino as buddies. Seriously. Pitino says
Ellison is his favorite guy on the team. And Ellison recommends Etta
James songs to Pitino and everyone else. It has led to Ellison playing
better than any of us have seen. But we have seen Ellison hurt before,
as he is right now.

DONTAE JONES

What we thought: Wonder what would happen if this guy ever played.

What we see: Jones's suits.

TRAVIS KNIGHT

What we thought: How many years was that? And how much money?

What we see: A 7-footer who may be worth the money ($3 million average),
but a center who has yet to justify the length of contract (seven
years).

WALTER McCARTY

What we thought: By acquiring him, Pitino was trying to recreate the
magic of the 1996 University of Kentucky national champions.

What we see: Who can blame Pitino? McCarty is a legitimate candidate for
the Most Improved Player Award this season. And he's already the best
singer and pianist in the Atlantic Division.

RON MERCER

What we thought: Can't create his own shot.

What we see: Someone who can create his own shot at an altitude several
thousand feet higher than the next guy's.

GREG MINOR

What we thought: Where's he going to fit in with this team?

What we see: A man who knows he doesn't quite fit in here.

ROY ROGERS

What we thought: He'd be the shot blocker at the back of the Pitino
Press.

What we see: Rogers at the end of the Pitino Bench.

JOHN THOMAS

What we thought: Acquired more for his favorable contract than his game.

What we see: He has game.

ANTOINE WALKER

What we thought: He was probably a season away from making the All-Star
team.

What we see: ''A lot of people tell me I deserve to be on the team,''
Walker says. ''I wasn't the last one on the team. It only looks that way
because my last name is Walker.''

This story ran on page D02 of the Boston Globe on 02/06/98.
© Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.