A Writer Who Wants To See The Season Cancelled

                 I just can't wait for Jan. 7

                 12/31/98 07:59:24 AM
                 By John Smallwood
                 Knight Ridder Newspapers

                 (KRT)

                 PHILADELPHIA -- Is there any way we can just
                 fast-forward to next Thursday?

                 That's Jan. 7 -- D-day for the NBA -- the day
                 commissioner David Stern is supposed to recommend
                 cancellation of the 1998-99 season to the league's
                 board of governors, because he can't get a new
                 collective bargaining contract with the National
                 Basketball Players Association.

                 What am I talking about? Less than a month ago, I told
                 you how much I loved the NBA and hoped there would be
                 a season, even an abbreviated one.

                 Now I'm saying I don't want to give these warring
                 factions every available millisecond to finally come
                 to their senses and pull out a game-winning bucket at
                 the buzzer? Guilty as charged.

                 As recently as a couple of days ago, I still
                 desperately wanted a resolution before the date of
                 revelation.

                 I don't want that anymore. I no longer want to see a
                 shot snap the net an instant before the final second
                 ticks away.

                 I want to see Armageddon, Ragnarok.

                 I don't want to leave any chance that there will be a
                 new contract before Jan. 7.

                 Why?

                 Well it's like that scene from the movie ``Dirty
                 Harry'' -- when Harry challenges a wounded crook who's
                 thinking about reaching for his gun to remember if
                 Harry had used up all his bullets.

                 The guy refused to call Harry's bluff. But after
                 surrendering to the fictional .357 Magnum-toting San
                 Francisco cop, the crook looked him the eye and said
                 -- ``I gots to know.''

                 Well, I gots to know.

                 After a half-year of watching these self-serving,
                 money-obsessed, golden-goose-slaying maniacs stroke
                 their egos at the expense of the game I love, I want
                 to see what will happen next.

                 Threats have been made. A gauntlet laid down.

                 At this point, my curiosity has been piqued too much.
                 Forget happy endings, I want to see which side truly
                 has the marbles to do what it says it will do and how
                 the carnage that follows will play out.

                 So next Thursday, I want to be sitting at my desk
                 anxiously waiting to see if 76ers assistant director
                 of public relations Rob Wilson will, as he has so many
                 times in the last six months, call to tell me the NBA
                 has scheduled a conference call with Stern and deputy
                 commissioner Russ Granik.

                 I want to see if ``the final'' proposal the league
                 sent to its 400 players and the media this week was
                 really ``final.''

                 I want to see if Stern will actually recommend
                 canceling the season.

                 I want to see if the board of governors will accept
                 that recommendation, toss a hand grenade at a
                 multibillion-dollar industry it took them 52 years to
                 build and see what, if anything, is left after the
                 dust settles.

                 I want to see how union executive director Billy
                 Hunter, who has steadfastly maintained the owners
                 won't blow up the season, will tell his shocked
                 constituency, ``Uh, guys, I may have made a slight
                 miscalculation.''

                 I want to see how union president Patrick Ewing, who's
                 banked close to $100 million over his career with the
                 New York Knicks, will explain to minimum-wage guys
                 such as Jason Lawson, Alvin Williams and Malik Rose,
                 who don't have nest eggs and might never play in the
                 NBA again, that biting the bullet really was in their
                 best interest.

                 I want to see how all those players who've steadfastly
                 refused to entertain the notion that season could be
                 canceled will deal with the reality the party is over.

                 I want to see what the 380 players who never got a
                 chance to vote on Stern's final offer will have to say
                 about Hunter and Ewing.

                 I want to see which players will lose their careers.

                 I want to see who will get a 9-to-5 job because they
                 can no longer pay their bills.

                 I want to see what Michael Jordan, who made an early
                 grandstand play and then quickly retreated from the
                 front lines once he realized the public relations hit
                 he would take, will say, once his retirement decision
                 is effectively made for him.

                 I want to see what Kevin Garnett, whose $126 million
                 contract started this mess, will say once the first
                 $18 million is gone forever.

                 I want to see what Scottie Pippen, Jayson Williams,
                 Theo Ratliff and other high-demand free agents will
                 say once their anticipated big paydays are blown away.

                 I want to see if Grant Hill, Kobe Bryant, Allen
                 Iverson, Keith Van Horn, Shaquille O'Neal, Stephon
                 Marbury, Tim Duncan and the other young superstars
                 who've been virtually invisible for the last six
                 months will regret never getting involved.

                 I want to see how super-agent David Falk will convince
                 Marbury, Iverson, Van Horn, Sixers rookie Larry Hughes
                 and the other keys to his future earnings not to be
                 disillusioned with him because he couldn't get the
                 most critical deal down.

                 I want to see if Falk will still rule the NBA world.

                 I want to see what those non-super-agents, who insist
                 the owners' offer is terrible, will do without their
                 cuts of the contracts they would've negotiated.

                 I want to see some of these unnamed billionaires
                 Hunter keeps hinting will be willing to commit
                 billions of dollars to start a rival league.

                 I want to see if 29 of them will be willing to leap
                 into a venture in which players will demand at least
                 57 percent of $2 billion.

                 I want to see where these new teams will play.

                 I want to see if pro-union guys such as Alonzo
                 Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Mitch Richmond and Jim
                 McIlvaine will surrender the millions of dollars they
                 have left on their NBA contracts to make less money in
                 a rival league because of principle.

                 I want to see what this new NBA Stern says will rise
                 from this season's ashes will look like.

                 I really want to see if the ticket prices will be
                 cheaper, as Stern said.

                 I want to see how the Los Angeles Clippers, Denver
                 Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, Dallas Mavericks and
                 Sacramento Kings will convince already apathetic fans
                 to return after a year off.

                 I want to see if the Clippers will finally hire a head
                 coach.

                 I want to see if an owner might have to sell his team.

                 I want to see if Kenny Anderson might have to sell
                 another car.

                 I want to see if it's really necessary to burn the
                 village to save it.

                 I want to see if the meek will inherit the earth.

                 I want to see if a rose can grow in a nuclear
                 wasteland.

                 I want to see all that and more.

                 I want Jan. 7 to hurry up and get here, because I want
                 to see these guys suffer the way that NBA fans have.

                 X X X

                 (John Smallwood is a columnist for the Philadelphia
                 Daily News.)

                 X X X

                 (c) 1998, Philadelphia Daily News.

                 Visit Philadelphia Online, the World Wide Web site of
                 the Philadelphia Daily News, at
                 http://www.phillynews.com/

                 Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information
                 Services.

                 AP-NY-12-31-98 0853EST