No Subject

>A group of NBA player agents is trying to convince Billy Hunter, the
>players' union executive director, to consider a proposal they have
>developed that they think would end the lockout almost immediately.

>The agents, who asked not to be identified, made the proposal to
>Hunter over the weekend and want Hunter to make the proposal to NBA
>commissioner David Stern the next time the sides meet.

>The proposal essentially would accept the league's latest stance for >a
new collective bargaining agreement, but add one caveat: Teams can
>designate franchise players.

>In the league's latest proposal, which Stern sent to each player's
>home last Thursday, only a player with at least 10 years of >experience
can sign a contract that pays him 35 percent of the >team's salary cap.
Players also would be split into two other >groups, consisting of zero
to six years and seven to nine years >experience in the league, and
players in those categories would be >paid more or less based on their
experience.

>Under the agents' proposed system, a team could designate one of its
>players the "franchise" player, and that player -- regardless of his
>service in the league -- could earn a salary worth 35 percent of his
>team's salary cap.

OK, let me see if I've got this right.  The agents' solution is to
create a system which will allow (even encourage) 29 Kevin Garnett type
contracts?  I guess that's about what I should expect from them.

Jim