Lacy J. Banks On The European Option

                          Chicago Sun Times
                          Abroad jump an option for NBA players

                          December 21, 1998

                          BY LACY J. BANKS STAFF REPORTER

                          Picture Jayson Williams playing in Italy.

                          Or Shawn Kemp in Spain.

                          Or Charles Barkley in Greece--if the money's right.

                          As this NBA season wastes away, the alternative of
                          playing in Europe is becoming increasingly
                          attractive to many players.

                          So is the possibility of the players and their
                          agents organizing a rival league if the NBA owners
                          cancel the season.

                          ``That's why I want them to hurry up and decide
                          whether there's going to be a season or not because
                          I'd gladly go play in Europe,'' Williams said.
                          ``Heck, I'm a basketball player. I want to play and
                          I've got to play. This lockout isn't paying my
                          bills.

                          ``My agent is already talking with some teams over
                          in Europe. Personally, Kinder Bologna in Italy would
                          be a good one for me. It's not like I'd stay there
                          forever. But a man's got to do what a man's got to
                          do.''

                          Saturday night in Atlantic City, N.J., after only 12
                          days of preparation and seven days of ticket sales,
                          NBA stars drew an enthusiastic crowd of 9,512 for
                          their exhibition game. With the help of sponsors
                          that included the cable network Showtime, which
                          televised the game live for its 12 million
                          subscribers, players raised more than $500,000 for
                          UNICEF and other charities.

                          Co-promoted by agents David Falk, Curtis Polk and
                          Arn Tellem, the game served noticed that the players
                          could market themselves to what is now a global
                          basketball market.

                          ``The public realizes that these players are largely
                          what the NBA is all about,'' Polk said. ``It's their
                          talent that they come to see.''

                          ``I've never seen [NBA commissioner] David Stern
                          play a game or make a shot,'' Karl Malone said.

                          So as the lockout drags on, expect to see the
                          players explore their options more aggressively.

                          Already, Denver Nuggets guard Nick Van Exel, New
                          York Knicks forward Marcus Camby and Toronto Raptors
                          forward Reggie Slater are threatening to sue the NBA
                          to have their contracts dissolved so they can play
                          for European teams.

                          Van Exel is so fed up, he wants to forgo the last
                          year of his contract and play in Europe regardless
                          of whether a labor contract is negotiated and there
                          is a short season.

                          ``I'm just trying to get overseas,'' Van Exel said.
                          ``Since a guaranteed contract really isn't
                          guaranteed anymore and we're all supposed to be free
                          agents, then why can't we go play [elsewhere] to
                          make a living?

                          ``I've talked to a few people around the league, and
                          they support what I'm doing. I want to go as soon as
                          possible. I'd go tomorrow if I could. But I'm going
                          to be patient. Hopefully, those deals will still be
                          waiting.''

                          Here is a sampling of players' opinions when asked
                          whether they would play in Europe if owners canceled
                          the NBA season and European teams offered them
                          contracts:

                          Barkley, free-agent forward: ``I really don't want
                          to go play in Europe and don't plan to. But if some
                          team offered me, say, $1 million to play a month for
                          them, I'd be a fool not to accept that offer.''

                          Malone, Utah Jazz forward: ``No way would I be
                          interested in playing in Europe. I don't need the
                          money. I can make more money off the court than what
                          I'd make playing for the Jazz. I am a red-blooded
                          American, born and raised in the U.S.A., and this is
                          where I want to stay.''

                          Alonzo Mourning, Miami Heat center: ``If there is no
                          season, I'd consider playing in Europe in a
                          heartbeat. ... If the NBA won't let me work my trade
                          here, I might as well go elsewhere.''

                          Kemp, Cleveland Cavaliers forward: ``I'm a
                          basketball player. Need I say more? I play
                          basketball not just for a living, but because I love
                          the game. So I'll go play anywhere. I have nothing
                          against playing in Europe. I hear things can be
                          great over there if you get on the right team.''

                          Dan Majerle, Heat guard: ``I'm 33 years old, I've
                          been in the league 10 years, I've got a wife and
                          kids and don't really need the money that badly. So,
                          no, I wouldn't play in Europe.''

                          Tim Hardaway, Heat guard: ``I just feel that I won't
                          have to consider [playing in Europe] because there
                          will be a season. Trust me.''

                          Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers center: ``I'm
                          just sitting, waiting, chilling, watching the news.
                          To me, it's sort of like an accidental vacation. But
                          if the season is canceled, we have to look at other
                          alternatives. Playing in Europe is one of them.''

                          Sam Cassell, New Jersey Nets guard: ``I need
                          employment. So if that's an opportunity over there
                          to earn income, I'd have to do it. The owners have
                          families, the coaches have families, the
                          front-office [employees] have families, and they're
                          getting their money. We have to take care of our
                          families, too.''

                          Stephon Marbury, Minnesota Timberwolves guard:
                          ``We're at the point now where you've got to feed
                          your families. There's not a deal on the table we're
                          willing to accept, and we're doing all the bending.
                          They're getting [all those millions] from Turner and
                          NBC that they don't have to pay back for four years.
                          So some teams are making more money without even
                          playing. We're the only ones getting burned. If
                          we're not playing by Jan. 1, there'll definitely not
                          be a season. And if they're not going to play
                          basketball, they should not stop us from playing.''

                          But buyer beware: Playing professional basketball in
                          Europe isn't for every NBA player.

                          Dominique Wilkins, who played Saturday, came back
                          after a year in Italy and had a few horror stories.

                          ``I would not play there again,'' he said. ``I would
                          caution anybody going over there to be careful. Make
                          sure you choose the right team and get your money up
                          front.''