Vecsey Blasts The Union and Hunter

                                 [New York Post]
                                     SPORTS

                                MISSION: IMPASSE-ABLE

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    WHILE David Falk's Freedom Fighters are
                    staging their first charity ball tomorrow
                    in Atlantic City (there are still a few
                    luxury suites available), Michael Jordan
                    will be playing in the Lexus golf
                    tournament on NBC; network interviewers are
                    standing by waiting to be boycotted.

                    Jordan's conspicuous lack of support for
                    his fan-unfriendly companions and
                    power-grubbing agent (anything to procure a
                    client or a photo opportunity, that's his
                    motto) should tell us everything we need to
                    know about what he thinks of this on-going
                    fiasco.

                    If Jordan believed in the game, I suspect
                    he would've attached his presence to its
                    basis rather than distance himself from it.

                    Which brings us to the $2 billion question
                    only Billy Hunter can answer with any cost
                    certainty: Will there be a 1998-99 NBA
                    season? From what I've read over the last
                    few days, it can't possibly get under way
                    until the union's core of counterfeit
                    communicators finish insulting our
                    intelligence.

                    How dare Alonzo Mourning and Karl Malone
                    insinuate that racism is playing some kind
                    of a role in the impasse between the
                    league's 29 white owners and the players
                    who are 85 percent black! It never fails to
                    amaze me how low people are willing to go
                    when they don't get their own way, screw up
                    big time (Latrell Sprewell), or just flat
                    out can't take the pressure.

                    Racism, my rear bumper! Anybody who says
                    money isn't at the root of this pernicious
                    stalemate have simply chosen to live in a
                    world of make believe until it's time again
                    to play in it.

                    How dare Mourning and Malone imply they're
                    being disrespected by the owners because of
                    their color when Mourning is the Poster
                    Child of Greed (see defection from Hornet
                    teammates, fans and the city in 1995 and
                    forced trade to the Heat because $10
                    million per year wasn't enough) and Malone
                    has dishonored his Jazz contract every
                    chance he could.

                    Being black sure didn't hurt Mourning and
                    Malone (or any player) when their
                    individual contracts were being negotiated.
                    So why should it be a factor regarding a
                    new collective bargaining agreement?

                    As Hunter admirably noted on BET last week
                    when the same lame innuendo was raised, "If
                    the owners were all black we'd be arguing
                    about the same issues we're stuck on now."

                    Racism, my tail gate! The players are quick
                    to point out how white the owners are, yet
                    it doesn't seem to bother them at all how
                    predominately white their union is;
                    everyone in a position of authority, it
                    seems, except Hunter.

                    Do the players really believe the fairy
                    tale that the agents (specifically Falk,
                    Arn Tellem and Eric Fleisher) have their
                    best interests at heart in this negotiation
                    ahead of their own? Get real! Should the
                    league get a ceiling on high-end salaries
                    (there won't be a season unless it does)
                    and a hard cap, or a scale on the lower end
                    players, agents figure to become all but
                    extraneous. The players are on the verge of
                    losing a season's salary. The agents stand
                    to lose their careers.

                    And you wonder why Falk's clients (Patrick
                    Union, Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo, Dan
                    Schayes, etc.) dominate the players'
                    negotiation committee. He's controlling the
                    talks. Manipulating the players. Pulling
                    Hunter's strings. Right from the git-go,
                    Falk has made it clear to Hunter:

                    Give up my high end players (Antonine
                    Walker, Rod Strickland, Stephon Marbury,
                    Allen Iverson, Vin Baker; all of whom, you
                    know very well, Falk has promised $100M
                    contracts) and you'll be fired the next
                    day.

                    Whether Falk can back up that threat
                    remains to be seen. But it certainly
                    becomes more understandable why Hunter is
                    taking so long to make the same deal he
                    could've had months ago, saving at least
                    $400M in players' salaries in the process.

                    That's why, I submit, Hunter keeps
                    demanding that David Stern set a drop dead
                    date. Only when he's feeling that burden of
                    losing his players' entire paychecks will
                    he feel comfortable in giving up the
                    high-end players (as if signing for an
                    average of 15M in the first year and 24M in
                    the sixth year of the new can be termed a
                    major sacrifice).

                    Only then will he take on Falk, it says
                    here. Not that Hunter doesn't have inner
                    fears that are far removed from Falk.
                    Sources say Hunter openly admits he's
                    afraid to make a premature deal that might
                    have players ticked off two years from now.
                    What a wimp! Either you've got the
                    confidence, experience, acumen and guts to
                    make a deal or you don't.

                    Clearly, Hunter does not. So he stalls. And
                    he baits Stern, knowing full well how much
                    the commissioner is fighting a number of
                    owners from canceling the season. And he
                    incites his troops with a them against us
                    rallying cry. And he holds weekly
                    conference calls that turn into pep
                    rallies. And he uses all the right catch
                    phases that get the players into an
                    emotional frenzy.

                    'How do we get rid of Stern," they chant.
                    "We'll start our own league," they say.
                    "Let's strike the playoffs if we don't get
                    what we want now," they blather. "Baseball
                    players held tough and look how great
                    baseball players are doing," they
                    underline, not caring about that the sport
                    continues to struggle. "Let's set our own
                    drop dead date," they declare.

                    Meanwhile, Hunter avoids discussing the
                    issues with his membership. There are no
                    fresh ideas. No details. No clue. Instead
                    of addressing each other's concerns, how
                    the majority of players can be helped, and
                    what does the league want in return, Hunter
                    keeps them unified by continually firing
                    them, planting the seed of racism in their
                    minds.

                    How many times has he distorted what Stern
                    or the owners said? How many times has he
                    turned obscure issues or wrong ones into
                    mountains of distrust? And when he's got
                    nothing going for him that day he merely
                    makes stuff up as he goes along.

                    The players' (and the league's) only hope
                    is that the inexperienced, incompetent
                    Hunter knows when to accept. And that his
                    procrastination will be worth what was lost
                    in salaries. In the end, we'll find out
                    whether it was worth losing $400M for what
                    was gained over the length of the new
                    agreement.

                    The fact is, if Hunter does get it done
                    it'll be in spite of him. If he gets a deal
                    done, he won't deserve it.