Paul Pierce & Kenny Anderson Play In Exhibition Game

 2,000 watch casual NBA exhibition
 Copyright © 1998 Nando Media
 Copyright © 1998 Associated Press

 LOS ANGELES (Dec 14, 1998 - 3:28 EST) -- There were NBA
 players like Kenny Anderson, Chris Mills and Eddie Jones.
 There was a clock, referees, slam dunks, fancy passes and
 best of all, fans.

 But this wasn't an NBA game.

 Sunday's action at Pauley Pavilion on the UCLA campus was
 for fun and to raise money for the Chris Mills Foundation.

 About 2,000 fans -- a mix of families with young children,
 teenagers and older folks who probably couldn't afford NBA
 ticket prices -- shelled out $10 and $25 to watch the
 locked out pros put on a show.

 "It was just for the fans," said Anderson of the Boston
 Celtics. "This was not a structured game, so you really
 don't get too much accomplished. It's really for the cause
 and that's a plus."

 How unlike an NBA game was it?

 Cedric Ceballos of the Dallas Mavericks chatted on a cell
 phone from the bench during the game. Several players wore
 diamond stud earrings (no jewelry allowed in pro games),
 smiled at impressive plays and waved at fans in the middle
 of the action.

 Some fans yelled, "Defense," but, of course, there wasn't
 any.

 "Guys aren't going to go hard out there because they don't
 really want to get hurt," Jones said. "We got too much at
 risk."

 The Mid Valley team, including Mills of the New York
 Knicks, Tracy Murray of the Washington Wizards, Charles
 O'Bannon of the Detroit Pistons and NBA rookie Paul
 Pierce, defeated the NBA All-Stars 128-119.

 Although he was advertised as a participant, Shaquille
 O'Neal didn't show. Signs at the ticket windows advised
 fans he wouldn't be here.

 Several players were just happy to be in front of a crowd.
 Their daily pickup games around Los Angeles don't attract
 more than a curious few.

 "It feels good to get out there and entertain some
 people," Murray said. "That's the only thing that drives
 me. We're taking this game for granted. It's a fun game
 and I miss playing it."

 The rosters were heavy with players who have local ties,
 either through their pro teams or colleges. Among others
 playing were Brent Barry, Darrick Martin, Jalen Rose,
 Lamond Murray, Bryon Russell, Pooh Richardson, Stacey
 Augmon, Derek Fisher and Jack Haley.

 Tracy Murray expressed impatience with negotiations to end
 the lockout. Talks broke off Saturday after only 30
 minutes.

 "The owners and David Stern need to start acting like
 businessmen and get in there and negotiate," he said.
 "Just because things don't go right in the first half-hour
 doesn't necessarily mean that we can't get anywhere. Lock
 the door, get something done."

 Augmon agreed that a lock-in might end the lockout.

 "We need to maybe spend the night in there and get the
 season going," he said.

 Jones, of the Lakers, easily received the loudest cheers.
 Familiar chants of "Edd-ie, Edd-ie" rang out as he dunked
 with abandon. But he doesn't see the fans rushing out to
 NBA games if the season ever gets going.

 "I definitely think they're going to get back at us," he
 said. "They're going to support a charity event, of
 course, but you're talking about an NBA game where people
 are paying actual money that's going into somebody's
 pocket. I don't think they're going to support that at
 all."

 Russell of the Utah Jazz is ready to forget this season.

 "I hope it ain't a season," he said. "What's the use of
 starting halfway? If they're going to do something, they
 need to do it now. But it doesn't look like it. People can
 go make money overseas."

 Like many of his colleagues, Russell suggested a
 compromise is in order.

 "I'm just disappointed to see grown men fighting. There's
 got to be some point where somebody's got to give," he
 said. "We don't want to give. They don't want to give, so
 we'll never play."

 Proceeds will be shared with three local charities to
 provide holiday toys for disadvantaged children, a
 foundation spokeswoman said. She didn't know how much
 money was raised.

 By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer