MICHAEL HOLLEY INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE: Actually Rick Pitino - Where Pitino Confesses His Love For Toine And Doesn't Plan On Trading Him

But Il Duce has spent the lockout thinking about possible trades....

                 Pitino has lots of time to kill

                 By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 12/13/98

                 One phrase is rarely heard around the Pitino
                 household these days. The father doesn't stand up
                 and announce to the family, ''I'm sorry, but I just don't
                 have time to spend with you all.'' If he were to say
                 that, the father would immediately be declared a ''case''
                 by the people who love him.

                 Rick Pitino has lots of time. He is Father Time. Time is
                 an infinite treadmill and Pitino is the lead runner on
                 it, jogging in place until NBA basketballs officially
                 bounce again. The Celtics coach just finished a
                 1,100-page book on Harry Truman. ''Very well-written,''
                 he said. Now he is writing his own book on leadership. No
                 annoying editor has to tell him to find time to write
                 more pages because, hey, with the NBA's labor dispute
                 charging toward its sixth month, Pitino definitely knows
                 where to find time.

                 The other day he watched his son, Richard, play
                 basketball. Pitino misses the game that he coaches so
                 frenetically, but not enough to grab a St. Sebastian's
                 High clipboard and chart some plays. ''No, no,'' he said,
                 ''I just sit there and smile.'' He and his family spent
                 Thanksgiving in Florida. He has been to Las Vegas. He has
                 watched horses run. He has received an invitation to
                 return to Florida and watch Kentucky and Penn State play
                 in the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day. If he goes to
                 Tampa for that game, he'll see quarterback Tim Couch,
                 whom he helped recruit. ''He wanted to know if he could
                 play two sports,'' Pitino recalled. ''I told him I'd make
                 him captain of the basketball team.'' The coach laughed.
                 He has watched Mo leave and Drew break his finger. He has
                 watched Duke's Elton Brand and likes what he sees. He has
                 watched film of pro basketball games, college games, high
                 school games, and ambitious players who think they have
                 game.

                ''Mostly, though,'' he said, ''I'm bored.''

                 So what does he do, basketballwise, to see through the
                 haze of that boredom?

                ''Oh, I think about trades a lot,'' he said.

                 Wait. Stop right there. You may be thinking what many
                 people have thought in the past several months: Does that
                 mean Pitino has traded or plans to trade Antoine Walker?
                 We all know that Pitino definitely isn't shy about
                 picking up the phone and making a deal. And that's when
                 he's busy. Give a guy like this time and an NBA roster
                 and you'll have yourself a makeover. Well, maybe.
                 Remember: Pitino said he is bored; he did not say he has
                 lost his mind. Pitino is not going to trade his best
                 player simply because Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit aren't
                 as engaging as they used to be. And although time can
                 sometimes lead people to reflection and a new way of
                 looking at life, time hasn't changed the way Pitino feels
                 about Walker. Which is to say that, you know, he digs
                 him.

                 ''I have a lot of respect for Antoine on the court,''
                 Pitino said. ''But, don't take this the wrong way, I have
                 never paid attention to anything he says off the court.
                 What I mean by that is this: He is 22 years old. I would
                 never respond to something that any 22-year-old player
                 says in the newspaper. It's irrelevant.''

                 Walker turned off many Boston fans last summer when he
                 called himself a veteran All-Star and said he didn't see
                 the point in attending Pitino's voluntary camps. Many
                 predicted that Walker had seen his last days in Boston.
                 He was the first player in a long time to go on the
                 record and criticize Pitino. The league does not permit
                 the coach to speak about labor issues nor to his players,
                 but he can speak generally about his players.

                ''Look, this is the way I am,'' Pitino began to explain.
                ''All of my players are like children to me, especially
                 the Kentucky kids. I am loyal to all of them. If my kids
                 don't come home on time, do I stop being their father? Of
                 course not. I don't turn on my players. My job is to be
                 extremely loyal to them. If I don't like something
                 Antoine said, he is still my college basketball player
                 and I love him dearly. He's going to get a lot of love
                 from me and he's going to get a lot of discipline from
                 me, too. I say this about all my players: They'll
                 appreciate me more when their careers are over. But I'm
                 not going to let them - and I'm not going to let Antoine
                 - do everything they want.''

                 Not everything. But when Pitino daydreams about his young
                 team, he can see the rhythmic Walker breaking into the
                 Walker Wiggle. Pitino doesn't want that to stop. Go to
                 Chicago, Walker's hometown, and you'll understand that
                 it's full of dancers, people who frown if you go to a
                 club simply to lean against the walls. The coach has no
                 problem with that.

                ''I'm not going to stop the wiggle,'' he said. ''Now, if
                 he doesn't get into his defensive stance, he'll wiggle
                 right out of the game and to the bench. But I don't think
                 coaches should try to discipline a player's individual
                 expression. What I do want to see is Antoine develop a
                 better relationship with the referees, because if he
                 doesn't it will hurt us.''

                 Pitino and Walker do not always get along, but the coach
                 does not dislike him. He has a rule that every player
                 should be 15 minutes early for every bus and plane.
                 ''Know how many times Antoine didn't make it last year?''
                 the coach asked. ''Once. He plays hard. He practices
                 hard. He never misses games ...''

                 But will he be traded? There's certainly time to work out
                 a deal. Part of me believes that Walker stays if the
                 owners win the lockout. But while I certainly believe
                 Pitino when he says that he loves Kentucky players,
                 that's also why I wonder if the rumored trade with Miami
                 - which includes former Kentucky player Jamal Mashburn -
                 is true.

                 ''We have never been close to trading Antoine,'' Pitino
                  said.

                 What about a deal with Portland for Brian Grant?

                 ''Not true,'' the coach said. ''Never close.''

                 There were also whispers of deals with Golden State,
                 Denver and the Clippers. Now it seems that, when
                 basketball begins again, Walker will be spending money
                 from a Celtics paycheck. And Pitino will be spending time
                 and watching Walker in green.

                 This story ran on page E01 of the Boston Globe on
                              12/13/98.

                   © Copyright 1998
                   Globe Newspaper
                       Company