Peter Vecsey Column

                               [New York Post]
                                   SPORTS

                                ONE-ON-ONE BASKETBALL

                    By PETER VECSEY
                    Unlike most people, I'm not the least bent
                    out of shape by the decision to use
                    Atlantic City as the game site ... It
                    allows Patrick to visit all the boardwalk
                    pawn shops and cop himself a ring. SHOULD
                    THE NBA and the Players Association remain
                    at an impasse much longer, sources say Dr.
                    Jack Kevorkian promises within a week to
                    reveal his drop dead date for the 1998-99
                    season.

                    Let the good faith bargaining begin between
                    David Stern and Billy Hunter ... with as
                    little help (and attendance) from their
                    associates as common sense dictates.

                    Let's face it, anyone who has ever tried to
                    make a deal involving a small amount of
                    money - much less the billions of dollars
                    the owners and players are attempting to
                    divvy up over the next six seasons - fully
                    understands why nothing constructive can
                    ever happen in these collective bargaining
                    talks unless the majority of people
                    cluttering up the often uncivilized
                    discussions are excused.

                    The dynamics of 50 people in a room doesn't
                    remotely work. At times the atmosphere has
                    gotten far too emotionally charged. As can
                    be expected, too many people have personal
                    agendas to protect. Too many negative
                    remarks and funny looks have been
                    exchanged, and many of them are hard to
                    forget and forgive.

                    That's why players/entertainers/whatever
                    normally hire representatives to handle
                    their contract negotiations. That's why
                    bosses usually designate assistants to set
                    a limit on salaries. Things - some of them
                    very necessary - are frequently underlined
                    by both sides in the heat of trying to gain
                    an edge that definitely shouldn't be heard
                    by the client/talent. It can only lead to
                    long-lasting grudges.

                    That's why Stern and Hunter must take this
                    stalled negotiation into their own hands.
                    That's why the commissioner and the
                    executive director must finish this
                    man-to-man as opposed to having their
                    voices and their power drowned out by their
                    respective groups. The time has come to
                    take two or three of their most trusted
                    allies and go underground (while everyone
                    else is thinking the season is doomed; I've
                    always maintained nothing positive is going
                    to happen until this becomes a covert
                    operation) for as long as it takes, and not
                    surface again until there's a settlement.

                    The season might be circling the drain, but
                    Stern and Hunter better not try to tell
                    frustrated fans there isn't at least one
                    more proposal in each of their briefcases.
                    At least one more compromise each could
                    make concerning one major issue. At least
                    one more crucial give-and-take trade that
                    can be haggled without allowing pride, ego
                    or David Falk to interfere.

                    Regrettably there remains one massive
                    obstruction: Both sides appear unwilling to
                    present another offer for fear it'll give
                    away too much, that it might be accepted
                    without any resultant concessions. And they
                    might be right.

                    What to do? How about this? I challenge
                    Stern to make one last proposition and
                    label it as such. In return, I challenge
                    Hunter to agree to present the offer (which
                    is his duty, if not a legal obligation) to
                    the membership in a SECRET ballot (which, I
                    suspect, should slightly diminish the
                    intimidation factor). As opposed to having
                    Alonzo Mourning pick up each individual
                    vote personally.

                    In the name of integrity, Dennis Vacco has
                    volunteered to count them. *MORE than ever,
                    I'm convinced the NBA will be tipping off
                    soon. All it took was one press conference
                    staged by Falk, who announced yesterday
                    that all money from the Dec. 19 charity
                    All-Star game in Atlantic City will
                    actually go to charity instead of
                    earmarking most of it to NBA players. Falk
                    is fast finding out it's not so easy
                    running a league.

                    Thankfully Falk is a quick thinker. For the
                    life of me I couldn't figure out how Lex
                    Luther, er, Falk and happy-go-lucky
                    co-producer Arn Tellem were going to divide
                    the money among so many destitute players.
                    Whose unpaid $3M or $4M mortgage would get
                    preference, Falk's client or Tellem's?

                    Unlike most people, I'm not the least bent
                    out of shape by the decision to use
                    Atlantic City as the game site. I think
                    critics are being too hard on Falk and
                    especially Patrick Union. Come on, cut the
                    guy some slack. How clear would you be
                    thinking if, in the same year, you got
                    locked out of the league and the house?

                    Seems to me like the right place (players
                    can hop over to Philly and scalp All-Star
                    tickets) for the right people. It allows
                    Patrick to visit all the boardwalk pawn
                    shops and cop himself a ring. And even if
                    Michael Jordan doesn't suit up, he can run
                    his own card show. One hundred dollars for
                    an ace, $50 for a picture card and a 20
                    percent discount if the dealer breaks.

                    My only problem is with Falk's decision to
                    air such an appealing All-Star game (in the
                    dead of December, in a family resort, six
                    days before Christmas) on Showtime. You
                    know, a premium network vs. your basic
                    cable. Seems to me the fee might be out of
                    the price range of a number of the players
                    who weren't invited to participate.

                    From what I understand, the All-Stars have
                    borrowed the rallying cry that originated
                    when they met in Las Vegas; Comp and
                    Circumstance.

                    It took the NBA a lot of years and a lot
                    more money to market stars such as, Ewing,
                    Mourning, Karl Malone and Co., to protect
                    them from being exposed as the jerks some
                    of them obviously are. It staggers the
                    senses how insensitive and out of touch
                    these guy are with the common man.

                    Meanwhile, it only took Falk and Tellem one
                    press conference to damage everything. If
                    these guys (and Hunter) cared anything
                    about their clients' commercial careers and
                    reputations, they would have advised them
                    to stay as far away from an open microphone
                    as they have from a championship, and never
                    exposed them to such potential
                    embarrassment.

                    The more the players talk the more trouble
                    the league finds itself.

                    As for the union, which distanced itself as
                    far from Falk's showmanship as possible,
                    the way I figure it, Hunter should be
                    desperate for a settlement at this point
                    just to avoid having leaders play in a game
                    that no one will pay to see in person or on
                    TV.