SAM JONES

    Thanks to Ray for sending that story on Sam Jones.  He's one of my husband's all time favorites. He was a joy to watch.  I wish they still played the game the way they did then.  He's right - it's not a one on one game, it's a team game.
    I don't think this is a racist argument between the union and the league.  The league had the right to do this, even though yes, they paid the players the outrageous salaries.  The owners felt they had to, to keep them and therefore be competitive.  I personally don't think the players should get more than 50% of the take.  They take none of the risk, and they truly don't have a clue.  They never think about all the expenses the league has to pay for them, in addition to their salaries.  None of these people, on either side, has to live in the real world most of us face every day.  The NBA's marketing got basketball where it is (was?) today and made it possible for these spoiled brats to make more money in a year than most of us would know how to spend.  The NBA decided to use their option and have a new CBA put in place.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I'm in favor of the non “all stars” getting a larger piece of the pie and the filthy rich ones getting less.  Sam Jones seems to be doing nicely and you saw his highest salary as a player listed.
    Maybe, and it's a large “maybe”, they all will learn something from this.  As for the threat of the players starting a new league - I don't think it will fly.  I won't be interested, at any rate.
    Flame away - I know many of you will disagree with me, but for what it's worth, that's how this fan feels and I've been a fan much longer than most of you.  I saw Sam Jones play.  Back then, basketball was what it should be - a team game.

Dorine