Latest Round Of Talks Not Looking Promising

                                          December 2, 1998

                          Latest round of talks not looking promising
                                        by Phil Jasner
                                  Daily News Sports Writer

                          You say you've been waiting patiently for the
                          start of the NBA season? Well, despite the
                          news that the owners and the locked-out
                          players union will be returning to the
                          bargaining table tomorrow morning, it appears
                          you're going to be waiting even longer, maybe
                          even until next season.

                          NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said
                          "absolutely not" when asked whether he had
                          any reason to be hopeful about a quick end to
                          the labor dispute that has already seen the
                          first nine weeks of the season wiped off the
                          books at a loss of about $330 million in
                          players' salaries.

                          That was Granik's stance even after Billy
                          Hunter, the executive director of the
                          National Basketball Players Association,
                          initiated a conversation yesterday with
                          commissioner David Stern that led to the
                          scheduling of tomorrow's session.

                          "There's no reason [ to be hopeful ] ,
                          because we've taken some big steps backward,"
                          Granik said. "But we'll meet and try again."

                          Granik said Hunter and Stern agreed that
                          there would be no preconditions or
                          deal-killers on the table and that everything
                          was negotiable. A meeting that had been
                          scheduled for last Saturday was canceled when
                          the two sides argued over what had been
                          agreed to concerning an escrow-and-tax system
                          and a timing issue on free agency at the Nov.
                          20 session.

                          "I don't have any reason to believe the
                          players are willing to take real measures to
                          reduce the percentage of basketball-related
                          income going to salaries," Granik said. "They
                          want to put lots of little things on the
                          table that have no impact. They like what
                          they have, which was 57 percent of revenue
                          last season, and they'd like to see that go
                          up if possible. That's their position, and
                          that's the real problem.

                          "This isn't about how many concessions each
                          side has made, it's that we're paying out too
                          much and we have to get the number down. They
                          haven't made any proposals that will really
                          get it down. If they want 57 percent and the
                          owners want to pay in the low 50s, it's bad."

                          The players received $1 billion of the $1.74
                          billion in revenue generated last season. The
                          league had anticipated raising revenue to
                          about $2 billion this season.

                          With the league at least a month away from
                          resuming, Stern has refrained from mentioning
                          a drop-dead date after which the balance of
                          the schedule would be canceled. Stern and
                          Granik are also wrestling with a decision on
                          All-Star Weekend, scheduled Feb. 11 to 14 in
                          Philadelphia. The city has not hosted an
                          All-Star Game since 1976.

                          "We're exploring what to do, and we recognize
                          that the situation is creating a lot of
                          problems for the city, which we really
                          regret," Granik said. "The mayor and the city
                          have been so cooperative, we're looking for
                          some kind of solution. There obviously has to
                          be a date by which we have to tell them, but
                          we're not sure yet what that date will be. It
                          could be sooner, it could be later."

                          With the Jam Session, the interactive fan
                          festival, already canceled, it is believed
                          that 76ers president Pat Croce would prefer
                          that the rest of the weekend's events be
                          canceled so that he could help put together a
                          gala production at a future date. Next
                          season's game already has been awarded to the
                          Golden State Warriors in Oakland, Calif., and
                          the 2001 game has been all but promised to
                          the Washington Wizards.

                          At the same time, the league is holding a
                          contract for more than 5,000 hotel rooms in
                          the city for that February weekend.

                          And while the owners and players continue to
                          negotiate, a source indicated Dec. 19 as a
                          possible date for a projected players'
                          exhibition game in Atlantic City, probably at
                          Convention Hall. Hamilton, Ontario, has also
                          been mentioned as a possible site.

                          In the meantime, former Detroit Pistons star
                          and union president Isiah Thomas clarified
                          his position after saying Monday that the
                          union might have to replace Hunter and
                          president Patrick Ewing at the bargaining
                          table in order to strike a deal.

                          "I thought I was in support of the players,
                          saying I'm concerned that they're missing
                          paychecks and that they should be concerned,"
                          said Thomas, who has also served as general
                          manager of the Toronto Raptors.

                          "I stand by my statement that the union has
                          three choices -- to let the season go by, to
                          accept a bad deal or to get an infusion of
                          new blood at the table. The only ones missing
                          checks are the players."

                          The majority of players are paid twice a
                          month, from November through April, and have
                          missed two checks.

                          "The unprepared players are the ones who are
                          getting hurt," Sixers guard Eric Snow said.
                          "If you paid attention to the threats, you
                          planned ahead and saved more money than you
                          ever thought you'd have needed."

                          The players almost certainly will miss at
                          least two more checks.

                          "My loyalties are to the game and the
                          business of the game, and I'm slightly biased
                          toward the players," Thomas said. "When I was
                          president, we knew we could take the league
                          to a place where it could become a $2 [
                          billion to ] $3 billion entity. Now, all of a
                          sudden, they don't want [ the players ] as
                          partners, and because of that I see two
                          adversaries and a lack of trust.

                          "We proved that a partnership could work. We
                          did it. Now, we're going to blow it all up? .
                          . . I don't think you're going to have a
                          season. I hope you have one, but when two
                          parties are having the type of
                          miscommunication they seem to be having, the
                          only ones hurt are the players. I don't think
                          either side has put its best deal on the
                          table because they don't trust each other."

                               ©1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.