memory - pistol pete

While we're on the subject of memories... I don't remember all the details,
but I went to a C's game back in the '70s when they were playing the New
Orleans Jazz. I sat in back of the basket. Pete Maravich tied the Garden
record for most points in a period. I believe it was 24 points. He was just
incredible during the game, ending up with 40+ points. One possession in
particular was spectacular. Maravich brought the ball up, penetrated to the
top of key, did some fancy dribbling ("fiddlin' and diddlin'"), drove to
his right almost in an arc, beat his man (I believe it was Jo Jo) and took
it to the hoop. Cowens and another player went over for the help. Maravich,
keeping his dribble, gave them a head and shoulder fake, then proceeded to
drive past the basket, then encountering more traffic, continued to dribble
and circled up to where he began, near the top of the key, then drove again
to his right, and, as if starting over, did it all again, beating his man,
this time laying it in off the glass. An amazing play. I also remember that
about halfway through the 4th quarter, Maravich was so exhausted from
"doing it all" (which he had to do, since his team was so bad), he stood
near halfcourt half bent over with his hands on his hips while play was
still going on. The C's pulled away during the stretch and won the game...