Walker and West

     Thanks to the principals in the "Should we shell out for Walker?" thread,
which has been most interesting.  I am somewhat concerned about Karl's
comments that by the time the Cs have enough experience to challenge, they'll
be worn out.  Is PitinoBall a game for 22 year olds only?
      But what strikes me even more from this thread is that Jerry West has it
right.  It's time for the old guard to get out.  It's a new game.  If it has
burned out Jerry West, it must be one tough business.  Maybe Pitino is The
Man.  From the SI story a few years back, he's a maniac, and that's what it
takes.  (Now watch West got to work for the Clippers, forcing me to eat my
words.)  Good luck to you in the future, Jerry.  I have this vision of a big
old house with a huge porch with lots of rocking chairs.  In those chairs,
smiling gently, are Red, Jerry, Cooz, Wilt, Sharman, Heinsohn, Baylor, KC,
Goodrich. Russ, Bird, Magic and all the rest of them.  And none of them misses
today's NBA.