PERVIS

I just don't see how the Celts will get rid of Pervis unless he agrees
to retire and take a position with the team, as it was rumored Pitino
already offered him and was turned down.  Who would take a chance on him
like the Celts did?  If you ask me there should be some protections
(nothing against Pervis) written into contracts regarding players who
are injured so often and so long they are useless to the team paying
their salaries.  Most of these guys are college graduates, or at least
they used to be, and hopefully could be gainfully employed elsewhere
even though they aren't “well enough” to play basketball.  Perhaps some
form of limited disability that wouldn't hogtie the team.  Pervis has
given the team a few games here and there and then he's back on the
bench.  There have been many examples of that in the league over the
years.  Those of us with regular jobs have to go on partial disability
with a long illness or absence from our jobs, why is everything paved in
gold for the athlete?  I think he should have the good grace to retire.
Dorine