Reflections

The season is probably over. Probably a good time to reflect on things.
Yes, the Celtics have done quite well overall. Some said this is
"unexpected", but somehow I think we all know it -- 'cause in the
beginning, we all know Rick would turn things around.

So the big thing is how the players develop under him. We saw guys being
kicked away big time (like nine, ten of them....), whether justly or not
is now besides the point. We saw guys who came and went like that, we
saw two high picks who eventually fared very differently; we saw old
hands being spit at and all turned out to be from o.k. to great; we saw
the new guys coming and going, and in the end, we got a new PG who
everybody thought would turn around the franchise in a flash. IT IS
EXCITING!!!

For what it's worth, I think Rick made his fair share of bad judgements.
Hey, the guy's only human! (maybe one that's better than many in what he
does, but still human) he dished out what many of you ML-bashers should
call a "ML deal" for Knight, he took Billups and showed little patience
in developing him (that's a #3 pick, folks! you would crucify ML if he
was the guy who drafted Billups), and he plays too much "Kentucky-ism"
in the franchise. It's great if you are from Kentucky, but somehow I
think most of us are not.

Hold your horses! I am not saying RP's no good. HE IS GREAT!! he had
most of the team working hard and over-achieving; he developed a number
of guys very well, especially Mercer (the OTHER pick), Walker and Dana.
McCarthy ain't bad, Decleq is a steal (sort of), Bowen is as Rick had
promised, Edney is good when he played, and Anderson turns out much
better than what many at first believed.

So it has been fun, and honestly, as much as it is painful, I hope they
miss the playoffs and land another lottery pick. This would put us in
great shape come next year.

And on the debate on Dana: I say keep him. Have been saying that for two
years and would still say so. Look at him responding to the team's
needs. You all should know he's a shooting gurad, but now his assists
tell you he has learned the trade well --- and he's still shooting!

John Liang

PS How goes our Aussie hope Mr. Pepper?