Re: Newspapers and....Joe Smith?

damekmo@teleport.com wrote:

> >During the past week, columnist Bill Reynolds wrote in the Providence
> >Journal that the Celts had rejected an offer of Joe Smith and BJ
> >Armstrong for Walker and Barros.
>
> This rumor persists. Cruising the newgroups:
>
> Newsgroups: rec.sport.basketball.pro
> Subject: Celts trade Walker??
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:36:00 -0400
>
> "Heard on radio this weekend from Celtics color-man (Maxwell) that Walker
> could be traded soon to GS for Smith.  Looking back now it almost makes
> sence.  Pitino has been building up Walker since he took over saying in
> a couple of years he will be one of the 5 top players in the NBA,
> (Building value)........"
>
> He goes on to mention a sighting of Pitino healing the sick and doing
> something weird with loaves and fishes,... blah, blah, blah. Anyway,
> perhaps the trade is still being considered. I know nothing about Joe
> Smith. Does this move sound reasonable?
>
> Paul M.

Depends if you want to become a weaker team. Smith wants to be a 3 and
is too big and slow to be one. He doesn't like to post up. GSW would
have to package someone such as Felton Spencer in the deal, but then the
Warriors wouldn't want Walker. I see a possible deal being Spencer and
Smith for Minor and Walker, especially seeing that the W's want to get
Dickey Simpkins for Scotty Burrell.

Warwick
- --
MZ