re-scary news

Baseball is gone or in the process of going bad financially, at least in
the weak markets. Basketball will follow the same route if they don't get
financially responsible. There's only so many seats in an arena and only so
much the TV networks will pay! As much as I like sports, I will not stoop
to pay these exhorbitant prices to attend games played mostly by a bunch of
mindless jocks. If it's on tv and free, I watch. A note on Pitino, he is
starting with the right building blocks. 2-3 years and we should be very
competitive. He has desire and spirit and the energy to achieve.
Dan

>From: Gene Kirkpatrick <gkir@tjc.tyler.cc.tx.us>
>Subject: Scary News
>
>Blurbs in the news last night made me start worrying about the future of
>the league.  Reports of owners' attempts to kill the union next year, of
>players' attempts to secure more money for league minimum players, and
>the attempts by agents to get mega money for merely good players all
>could lead to strike, loss of public support, chaos--some or all of the
>above.  I think if the NBA goes down this road we will have the agents
>and money-blinded stars to blame.  I just hate to see a situation where
>talented kids, some of whom came from poverty, can't be satisfied by
>being mere multi-millionaires.  And while I couldn't side with a
>union-bashing attempt by owners, I understand balking at paying any ball
>player 100 million dollars.  I'm afraid money could ruin our sport--even
>more than it has.

"dforant1@nycap.rr.com"
"A fortunate one"