Red on UpClose

Here's my two cents worth...

First of all, he (of course!) smoke a huge cigar.  I was really happy about
how healthy he looked.  I've seen him on TV at the fleet a few times and he
looked his age or older, but he looked great yesterday.

On Pitino:  Nothing but praise.  Talked about his smarts, his work ethic,
his ability to motivate.

On coaching today:  He said all coaches are crazy for wanting long term
contracts.  He said he prefers one year contracts so that he can negotiate
each contract from strength.  Chris Matthews pointed out that with today's
players, a coach needs to be able to say to players "I'm here for a long
long time.  You better shape up"  Red said that is crazy too, because
coaches still get canned, even with long term contracts.

On Gaston: "A young guy who just wants to win"  He went on and on about how
he did not think the C's could get Pitino, but Gaston kept tying.

On Bird coaching: He thinks he will do great, IF he doesn't hit a long
losing streak and get discouraged.  Talked about how smart Bird is.  Also
said the C's courted Bird heavily (as coach!)

On todays teams vrs yesterday's teams: He said that there were players of
past generations just as good as todays superstars, but there are more great
players today.  He said he could put together maybe 3 superstar teams from
the 50's and 60's, but today you could put together maybe 5 or 6.

On RODMAN!: He said he would not coach Rodman. "Life is too short", he said.
When Matthews commented on Rodman's great rebounding ability, Red did not
seem impressed.

On Wilkins breaking his winningest coach record: He said it took Wilkins
3(?) years longer!

On the greatest player ever: He mentioned the usuals, then said Jordan.

Matthews seemed in awe of Red.  He told him to come back anytime, cigar
smoke and all!

Mark Estepp				704 262 3111
Appalachian State University		704 265 8696 (fax)
Esteppjm@AppState.edu